Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

CB Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:00 PM
chukar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Suggestions

Of those who have CB's or those who want one, what are your recommendations for brand/model and such? Also, I've got an 06 with manual trans, doesn't look like too many places to mount one that will be out of the way enough to shift, but convenient enough to access the unit when desired. I would also like to install a brake controller and think that should be more accessible than the CB seeing as how it is a little more important to get to in a pinch.

Thanks

Old 11-30-2006, 01:19 PM
donnie
Professional
Default RE: CB Suggestions

Iv got one installed in my 05 that I mounted on the right side of the steering column.
Im using an old Radio Shack with a Wilson Mag moung antenna which works great.
I believe there is another member on here that makes a mounting bracket for the newer trucks.
Do a search for cb mounts.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Geno's garage has em for 05's, but I'm sure they'll work for 06's. They probably just didn't update.

Here ya go ...

Item Number : CB_MOUNT_0305W

Unit Price: $55.00

Detailed Description
Have you been searching for a simple way to install your CB radio within your Dodge RAM? If so, TDR member, Bob Wagner, has designed a simple mount to keep your CB radio convenient at all times for your ‘94 - ‘02 truck. And TDR member, Bob Novak has designed a similar product for your ‘03 - ‘05 truck. With this mount, you can mount your radio plus an external speaker, GPS, cell phone or satellite radio receiver.

'03-'05 CB Wide Mount for 4x2 and 4x4 automatic trucks with electronic transfer case shifter on the dash

They have others as well. Here's the link ...

http://www.genosgarage.com/products.asp?dept=161

Old 11-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: donnie

Im using an old Radio Shack with a Wilson Mag moung antenna which works great.
That's the same set up I'm using. I'm using the Lil Wilson antenna. I haven't done the SWR thing yet, but I'm hopeing for a little better reception once I do. I'd also like to have the CB tuned up and somebody here was looking into it for me, but now I forget who it was.

LOL !!

Old 11-30-2006, 04:06 PM
chukar
Rookie

It doesn't look like that mount will work with a manual trans. When going into 1,3, or 6 gears the coffee cup gets in the way.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Mayfair
Legend

This is where I mounted mine ...

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/D91FD08AE4A14236A4A6949D29DC58D0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-30-2006, 08:17 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

I use the RF Limited S-45 OmegaForce. 10/11 meter. Radio has *****. Swings almost 50 watts on ssb. I use a Wilson 5000 mag mount so I can remove it in a hurry if needed. There's places that make radio mounts that will attach to the floor on the hump. Several configurations. They work nice. If there is a Motorola shop, or a fire dept near you, you can ask them where they order their hardware.

This is my setup. Nothing major.

Good luck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/08B194295B044E62B342F6AAB84BF568.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/08B194295B044E62B342F6AAB84BF568.jpg[/IMG]
What the heck are all those ***** for? I could never understand what the heck all of the ***** are for. I've got some **** I think it's for RF gain or some such thing. I turn it left or right, seems to make no difference.

LOL !!

Old 11-30-2006, 09:18 PM
RobertDunn
Professional

I have a pretty nice Cobra radio that just sits on the seat right now. Mine has access to the WeatherBand stations, and there is someway to make it pop over the CB Channel if an alert goes out, but haven't figured it yet.

I also have an illumination control (which is nice at night, but not important) an WYX or something control which all I know it does is give a bad tone if it's up too high. I also have a Squelch, (which is being used as a Gain), volume and channel ****.

as for Gain, essentially it increases or decreses the range that your CB will pick up/transmit. like a "Power" setting. I would recommend this in leu of a Squelch or other dohicky, on the radio.

(and I'm driving an 89 Tarus, so no big deal on mounting)

Old 12-01-2006, 12:06 AM
jakebrake
Champion

I use the RF Limited S-45 OmegaForce. 10/11 meter. Radio has *****. Swings almost 50 watts on ssb. I use a Wilson 5000 mag mount so I can remove it in a hurry if needed. There's places that make radio mounts that will attach to the floor on the hump. Several configurations. They work nice. If there is a Motorola shop, or a fire dept near you, you can ask them where they order their hardware.

Good luck.
that's not a cb radio and it's also illegal for you to operate on cb channels with it[8D]. But I wont tell if you don't tell

Quick Reply: CB Suggestions