Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

8 year Cummins warranty for 1999-2006 Dodge Diesels

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006 | 07:39 PM
GBWELDING
Default 8 year Cummins warranty for 1999-2006 Dodge Diesels

Ok guys found this info on one of my favorite sites and figured it's worth sharing, this was wrote by another fella not me, Do your own research, might save you the price of a new VP44.

I don't know how many of you have gotten wind of this but I think it's a pretty big deal and the fur's about to fly. First off, how many of you guys, with a 1999, 2000, or 2001/2001.5 truck have actually READ all the way through your warranty manual?? Probably not too many and those that do have probably given it a quick glance and not much more. Well, thank god for sticklers. It appears that in all of those warranty manuals, right there in plain sight is the REAL wording for the Cummins Limited Warranty that is supposed to cover the engine and related parts for 5 years or 100,000 miles*. What most people, including myself, haven't noticed is that there is SPECIFIC wording in there, put in by DC, that shows CLEARLY when the Cummins Limited Warranty is supposed to begin. It states in plain text "When it begins..." and right there in plain english it states that it begins AT THE END of the Basic 3 year/36,000 mile warranty period. I can't believe I didn't see that before but there is one member on TDR that actually read the entire thing and KNEW that his truck was under warranty for 5 years from the END of the basic warranty. So, when his VP44 died on him, he took it in, had it repaired and expected to get it done under warranty. He returned to find a $2,743 bill of repair waiting for him. Well, he showed the owner of the dealership about the wording in the manual (which points out that IT is the only source of warranty information pertaining to your truck and anything warrantied in the manual is as good as GOLD). After much squirming and dodging (no pun intended), DC demanded his receipts for maintenance, which he did himself. He provided them. Still more squirming and delays. Then DC demanded his receipts for fuel filters. He responded with the receipts and in a few short weeks he received a check from Daimler-Chrysler for $2,743 and change. PAID IN FULL under warranty. His truck was at six years, ten months, twenty-one days with 130,737 miles on the clock. I couldn't believe his claim of the extended warranty period and my first impression was that he was a little misled. But, after reading the warranty manual, I was in shock. Here's what most of us have looked at and this is what dealers use as their guide for warranty duration.
http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/5...1lr7.jpg/forum

Now here's the statement that shows the Warranty Booklet is the law according to DC:
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/736...4gs0.jpg/forum

And here's the page where it shows the beginning and end of the Basic Warranty coverage:
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8...6pf2.jpg/forum

And here my friends are the specifics, pointed out by Daimler-Chrysler, that so many of us have NEVER even paid attention to (pay particular attention to the wording, stating the BEGINNING DATE of the Cummins Warranty) I think MOST if not all of you will be SHOCKED:
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/973...2ir3.jpg/forum

And here is the list of parts covered in the warranty coverage (notice the 4th line down where it includes the VP44)
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/465...3bc1.jpg/forum

And here's the part that makes it legal to take them to court if they don't honor the warranty contained within the booklet
http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2...0qx6.jpg/forum

He protested, stood his ground, threatened legal action, and DC had to honor what they warrantied in their very own Warranty Booklet. Granted he had to provide service/parts receipts to get it done under warranty but the warranty is apparently GOOD.

I can't believe that the entire DC corp from top to bottom is overlooking this very important information. If I have another VP44 go out, I am definitely going to make a case for it's replacement under the Cummins Engine Limited Warranty. I hope this helps anyone that is suffering from a dying VP. I'm still amazed that nobody saw this before.

* 5 years/100,000 miles from the beginning date according to the warranty booklet

Old 11-30-2006 | 08:24 PM
49lambert
Rookie
Default RE: 8 year Cummins warranty for 1999-2006 Dodge Diesels

I think you better talk to someone at DC and have this checked out further. It sounds a little to good to be true.

Section 2.1 of my warranty book states that I have a 3 year 36,000 mile "BASIC LIMITED WARRANTY" that covers the entire truck except the tires for 3 years from date of purchase or until the odometer reaches 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. There are some items that are only covered for 1 year or 12,000 miles (Brakes, wiper blades, clutch, wheel alignment and balancing, & the front and rear windows).

Section 2.2 states that I have a Cummins Diesel Engine Limited Warrenty that covers for up to 5 years or 100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever comes first. Section 2.2 C states that the Cummins Diesel Engine Warranty (CDEW) starts when the truck has been in service for 36 months; or the date you've put more than 36,000 miles on the odometer.

All this warranty is saying is the first 3yrs/36,000 miles the truck is covered by the basic warranty from the point you hit 3 years until 5 years or 36,000 miles to 100,000 miles the truck is covered by the CDEW. At 5 years or 100,000 miles you are on your own not matter what.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Old 12-01-2006 | 12:45 AM
jakebrake
Champion

My warrenty went out the door with the edge but it's good to know that for anyone without a box.

Old 12-01-2006 | 11:27 AM
RyEnFF31

ORIGINAL: jakebrake

My warrenty went out the door with the edge but it's good to know that for anyone without a box.
Whats stopping you from removing the box and returning to stock to go to the stealership?

Old 12-01-2006 | 01:07 PM
GBWELDING

Yeah I'm my own warranty station too, and I haven't pulled out my warranty to see how it reads just thought I'd give the fellas something to hash over, If it is true I might have held off on bombing my truck NOT!! LOL[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 12-01-2006 | 05:39 PM
GBWELDING

Go to the Cummins web site below, you’ll find the following information on your base warranty

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/eve...9_warranty.jsp

Every Dodge Ram 2500/3500 equipped with the dependable Cummins 5.9-liter Turbo Diesel engine comes complete with a 5-year/100,000-mile (160,935 km) warranty for the first owner. Second owners are also entitled to the 5-year/100,000-mile (160,935 km) warranty if they have paid a transfer fee within 30 days of purchase of the used vehicle.
Your local Dodge dealers are fully trained and equipped to handle engine warranty repairs. To find the nearest location by zip code or city, use the Dodge Dealer Locator.
Base Warranty coverage includes:
• Cylinder block and all internal parts
• Cylinder head assemblies
• Core plugs
• Fuel injection pump and injectors
• Gaskets and seals for listed components
• Intake and exhaust manifold
• Oil pan
• Oil pump
• Timing gear drive belts and/or chains and cover
• Turbocharger housing and internal parts
• Valve covers
• Water pump and housing
The Cummins Diesel Engine Warranty begins at the end of the Basic Limited Warranty provided by DaimlerChrysler. This occurs when your truck has been in service for more than 36 months, or you reach 36,000 miles (57,937 km), whichever comes first.
Towing costs to the nearest Dodge dealer are covered if your vehicle cannot be driven due to failure of a covered part. See your Dodge dealer for complete warranty details.

Old 12-01-2006 | 08:05 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

For 2006 model truck is different as the 5/100 starts the same day as the 3/36 from Dodge per my owners manual.

Old 12-01-2006 | 11:47 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Whats stopping you from removing the box and returning to stock to go to the stealership?
With my box, and most others out there, you have to splice into one of the pump wires. If the dealer/cummins sees any bare wire then no warrenty. I believe the wire is to advance timing.

Old 12-02-2006 | 01:04 PM
GBWELDING

Yeah from what I can find DC reworded the 06 manuals. I found this info on Cumminsforum.com , theres a thread running over there that if you are an info junkie you should check out, very interesting! Oh yeah, It originally started on the TDR. If it can be enforced this could be huge. Just figures that more people digging into the issue the more facts will come to the surface.[sm=americanasmiley.gif] Like Jakebrake I voided my own warranty (my choice) but theres alot of folks out there with a 1999 with 100,001 miles that haven't! The fact is if you paid for the warranty you should recieve it PERIOD!

Old 12-02-2006 | 05:58 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

I'm glad you posted this and I hope more people will read the information supplied in the owners manual as I know many will not take the time to do such and this could cost them $$ that Dodge would pay for the repair under warranty. When I read mine I was surprised how much is covered under Federal Law on gas engines for 8/80,000.

In fact I had a Dodge fleet salesman tell me that 3500's do not require a 6/6,000 check up to keep there Noise Control devices under warranty or that just removing the air cleaner or inverting the lid it will void it so I knew right then and there he had not read the warranty book.

Quick Reply: 8 year Cummins warranty for 1999-2006 Dodge Diesels