Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

A new Two Guys Garage

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 03:27 AM
ga_noplugs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new Two Guys Garage

Hey,
Just caught a new Two Guys Garage today. They had a black 04 2500 CTD and they installed a
Cold Air Intake
5" exhaust and a
TST CR PowerMax.

They also showed how to tap a hole for the EGT sensor. After seeing it live it really looks easy.

It looks to be a brand new show too so it will probably play again soon.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:13 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: A new Two Guys Garage

Thanks for the heads up !!

Can someone with one of those fancy schmacy TV set up's tell me when it's comming on again?

Old 12-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tapping the exhaust manifold for an egt is simple, you just have to remember to take your time and use some heavy grease to catch the shavings. when your tapping the hole make sure to stop alot, clean the tap and re-apply heavy grease often to prevent the larger pieces from falling in.

I installed mine when my engine was cold. I didnt have much in the way of shaveings in the exhaust so I just cranked her up and blew the shaveings out. . .no dammage to the turbo.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:39 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

Drew,

Any advice as to where to tap the Exhaust for an EGT sensor. I have checked out the install instructions for a bully Dog and Edge and both suggest different places to tap. Edge was close to the cyl block and Bully (if I remember right) was closer to the Turbo.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Drew
Professional

well. . .there are two different places to put the sensor, one in the manifold before the turbo, or after the turbo in the down pipe.

I put mine in the manifold right where #3 dumps out. this will give you more accurate numbers as to what the engine is doing and will tell you quicker when to back out of it before you burnt he turbo up. after the turbo tell you more of what the turbo is doing, slower to respond but is a more effective place to put when you want to know when to shut the engine off.

there is a rather large temp swing from before the turbo and after the turbo. after the turbo readings are generaly 200-300F lower.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:50 PM
dtb86001
Professional

Hey drew glad to see ya back.. im getting a Jake break installed today do you know if they ar pre tapped for an EGT? and would you reccomend placing the EGT sensor in a diffrent spot depending upon weather you have a jake brake installed or not?

Old 12-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Drew
Professional

most exhaust brakes do have a bung for an EGT sensor, however I still believe the best place for the sensor is pre-turbo.

I'm not completely back, I'll be out of pocket this weekend, then it just depends on what's going on here at work as to when I'll be doing.

I do try and drop in as much as possable.

Quick Reply: A new Two Guys Garage