Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Gutted My Stock Torque Tube

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Nelspruitdodger
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gutted My Stock Torque Tube

I gutted the stock torque tube today, easy.

Gives even better sound effects with the silencer ring removed.

No cutting or drilling.

Simply pry the top off the tube with a flat screw driver, you will hear a popping sound as you work the screw driver around. - This is the factory glue seperating.

Once you have the two parts apart, turn the tube upside down - and the guts falls out!
The guts will be the baffles them selves and two halves of an "inner tube" that was used to hold the baffles in place - I removed all of this.

I would reccomend that you mark the top and bottom 1/2 so when you replace, you have a reference between top and bottom.

You will need a good epoxy to glue the top back on. This is important as many use aftermarket cold air intakes and this could put undue pressure on the "lid". You do not want these pieces seperating!

I used LOCK TITE Plastic let it sit under some weight overnight, re-installed in +- 1 minute.

I still have the stock air filter and box and could really hear the turbo. Those of you with the HBAF's will really get the full effect.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Local Yokel
Professional
Default RE: Gutted My Stock Torque Tube

Excuse the newb question, but what is a torque tube?

Old 12-02-2006, 12:19 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

yeah Im cluless on this as well.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:59 AM
spfd308
Professional

i'm not sure what a torque tube is either, but if memory serves me correctly Banks makes one with that is mandrel bent for smoother airflow.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Nelspruitdodger
Professional

The section of rigid "pipe", between the elbows from the air filter box and the turbo.

If you look at the Air raid jr air intake system, it consists of a drop in high flow filter element and a "torque tube" - basically a straght through "pipe" in the area mentioned above.

I have modified the stock tube by removing the "guts" turning it into a free flow type system - a torque tube.

It is a easy mod and done for the same reasons as removing the silencer ring - except I am hoping to get better unrestricted air flow to the turbo now.

Quick Reply: Gutted My Stock Torque Tube