Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

First time in snow with the truck ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Local Yokel
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time in snow with the truck ...

WOW like there wasnt snow on the ground at all! Man this is an incredible truck all around, really loving it .....

Edit: forgot to say it is a little annoying when ice gets between the bed and the cab, sounds like the bed is loose LOL ...

Old 12-02-2006, 03:06 PM
MrSlug
Veteran
Default RE: First time in snow with the truck ...

I imagine you also have to be a bit careful with the throttle. 610+ Ft lbs of torque on snow must be fun.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:42 PM
dixiedodge7369
Professional

This was the first winter inmy truck( 06 2500 cummins 6speed) i thought my truck was sweeet before but this morning with 12 inchs of snow on the ground i was amazed!!!...
THe only downside i tryed to climb up on a snowbank and i couldent do it i had my girl try and i watched from the outside as in 4 wheel drive the LR and RF were the only tires spining time for atleast a rear dif locker or ARB air locker

Old 12-02-2006, 06:35 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: dixiedodge7369

This was the first winter inmy truck( 06 2500 cummins 6speed) i thought my truck was sweeet before but this morning with 12 inchs of snow on the ground i was amazed!!!...
THe only downside i tryed to climb up on a snowbank and i couldent do it i had my girl try and i watched from the outside as in 4 wheel drive the LR and RF were the only tires spining time for atleast a rear dif locker or ARB air locker
I'm assuming you don't have the LS in your truck. The OEM LS in these trucks is actually very good; pretty similar to a Detroit TrueTrac. 100% better than the Ford TracLoc crap in the SD's. I got rid of that silly bastard quick. Dropped ARB's front and rear and that friggin thing would go like an animal.

If you've never had them, ARB's are well worth the expense.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:15 PM
dixiedodge7369
Professional

never had ARB i have a spool in my superbee and a a powertrax locker in my challenger what a diffrence they make! i looked on the arb website it said air locker for the 06 with AA&M rear diff will be available 07' so im waitin for that to come out.. i want it at least in the rear so i can have 3 wheel drive....one day front arb will be in order....

Old 12-02-2006, 11:39 PM
cumminalong

I tell ya what.....once you have that option of the selectables you'll never want anything else.

It's nice to just hit the switch and know that sucker is gonna go. It's also nice to get the tire wear and driveability of an open diff.

Don't even think about trying to turn on terrain that has any sort of traction at all. With the front locked, it's like trying to drive an aircraft carrier through the McDonal's drive-thru. just ain't happening. I was almost at the point where I was gonna go to hydro for the front end, but I ended up trading the truck fo my CTD.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:53 AM
DR

I was in Milwaukee when the 13" of snow hit. Truck was awsome! 2 wheel drive would get stuck on a snot ball, but 4 wheel drive in the snow worked great. It seemed as if the weight of the CTD really helped the front end. I thought it would want to "plow" in turns, but it pulled right through with no "plowing" what so ever.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Local Yokel
Professional

ORIGINAL: MrSlug

I imagine you also have to be a bit careful with the throttle. 610+ Ft lbs of torque on snow must be fun.
I was surprised it didnt just spin all four but I swear to god it just pulled like no tomorrow. It also stopped equally as nice!

Quick Reply: First time in snow with the truck ...