Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Block Heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 10:30 PM
justinstucken
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block Heater

I live in central missouri and it usually don't get all that cold around here. Lately its been round 5 to 10 degrees in the morning when i start my truck. When i first bought my 06 i didn't even bother to ask the dealership about a block heater and all that jazz. Now i want to go ahead and see what i have to do to get one. I read some posts before about how they are already installed and all u have to do is get a cord. Is this true? Have any of you other guys been in my place? and what did u do.. Do i just need to buy a cord. If it is factory installed where is it located on the motor? Any help would be great . THanks.

STUCK

Old 12-05-2006, 10:55 PM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: Block Heater

The element is located under the turbo, about half way down the block.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:50 PM
KenZ
Veteran

On my '05 it is located on the front passenger side of the block. Take off the airbox/duct from the turbo it is simple and makes running the cord ALOT easier. There is a screw cover to remove and the new cord (about $40 at dealer) plugs in and screws tight to the heater. It gets cold here in Mid-Michigan also, and I wouldn't be without a block heater.

KenZ

Old 12-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The diesel engine has the block heater located on the right side of the engine below the exhaust manifold next to the oil cooler (1). Part number for the cord is 5086737AB. Cost about $45.00 @ dealer. They no longer put the cord on the engine, but the heater is already on all diesels. See pic below, the heater has a black cap on it . Hope this helps

[IMG]local://upfiles/2784/9DAC95A6D8BC4CF7B4F967276FC451F7.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-06-2006, 05:56 AM
Mayfair
Legend

COOL PIC !!!

I never saw that before. THANKS parts guy !!

Old 12-06-2006, 01:22 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

before you do anything, look for the cord on the right side (PS) of the radiator... you may already have it installed.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Live44MX

I just installed mine. Works great. I purchased Cord #251919 from a Cummins parts Store/service center for $12.77 plus tax.
Thanks to the posts on this forum, saved me $33 bucks! The local Dodge dealer had one for $45, But I had to order it. So I drove 30 miles to the Cummins Store to buy it. You can find the closest store at WWW.Cummins.com. Go to the service locater.
It is easy to install from under the truck. I did not have to remove anything. It is right behind the oil filter like the picture in the previous post show...

Old 12-07-2006, 12:08 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, Thank you very much! (in my best Elvis voice)

Old 12-07-2006, 02:56 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So easily amused........................................ but loveable none the less.
ORIGINAL: Mayfair

COOL PIC !!!

I never saw that before. THANKS parts guy !!

Old 12-07-2006, 03:58 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

Would the Ambient Temp Sense have ANYTHING to do with plugging your CTD in at night? The reason I am asking is because when I first got the truck and tried plugging the truck in a couple of time in the AM, I noticed ZERO difference in the "wait to start time" of the actual temp of the block (measured by house fast the block would warm up in traffic). I was plugging the truck in for approx 1.2 hours before I left. Then I got that CEL for the Ambient Temp Sense and stopped plugging the truck in.

Last night the temp was suppose to drop down to 24 (below freezing, and I know thats not very cold but I am a CA wimp!) so I went down to OSH and pick up a good extention cord and a outdoor timer. I set the timer to let the truck warm for 1.2 hours before I had to leave for work. When I woke up, I crossed my fingers and prayed to the CEL gods; disconnected the plug (heard this was a good thing ); and turned the ignition on. To my suprise there was no "wait to start light". I waited till all the other little lights went off and fired it up. To my delight, the truck was around 140 degress in no time and seemed to warm up (allowing me to use the heater) a hell of a lot faster.

Here is what I know:

1) Before I had the Ambient Temp sense changed, the plug did not seem to do anything
2) After the dealer installed the Ambient Temp sense the plug reduced the "wait to start" time and the block heats up much faster under load. Oh yeah, the dealer also managed to turn off my Delayed Power setting in the process LOL.

Quick Reply: Block Heater