Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Cowboy 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Muffler Delete

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

Welcome to df Cowboy6...

from my experience on 3 differenct setups on my '05, when you open up the exhaust your lowend power drops, add some backpressure into it and low end comes back up. what i've observed happening is that the low boost low end torque drops off, turbo spooling increases and egt's drop. if your on it hard, you'll blow right past the low end anyway. if your cruising down the hiway, you have low boost conditions & thus less low end power which will hurt your mileage. off the line performance in the city also hurts...
Thanks for the welcome. Interesting info above. I guess I am thinking purely on the mash the go-pedal side of things. What you are saying does make some physical sense though. It would be interesting to see on a variable load dyno.

C6

Old 12-11-2006, 05:17 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

yeah real world driving in everyday situations, low end drops so does mileage. not many are flooring it light to light. an open exhasut would be the only way to go if you were. you could always do an exhaust dump setup with a quicktime dump setup... then youhave the best of both worlds...

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php

Old 12-14-2006, 11:06 PM
bekim
Professional

Straight up Steve! You don't need a dyno to feel the difference. Hopefully the Aero 5050 makes up for the COMPLETE lack of backpressure created by a 5" system without a turbo upgrade. I had no drop in mileage though. And EGT's stay lower all the time, with quicker cool down. Good luck with it Jake!!
And Steve.....what about the bypass system install!!!!!....Come on.....GETERDONE!!
Cheers
Mike
###

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

be prepared for a drop in low end torque & mileage... especially with a 5" exhaust... talk to Bemkin (sp?)

Old 12-15-2006, 01:28 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

the aero 5050 should help you... I know on my previous exhasut setup w/o the 4040 (30" magnaflow & lost kitty) I had a loss in backpressure, when I added the aero it brought back some that was lost.

Unless I hit a snag... I'll be working on the truck all weekend. the goal is to finish the gauge install and do the bypass setup and swap the oil. have it all sitting in the garage... would have worked on it last weekend however a bug decided to invade... fortunately for me the internal forces overcame and i'm back to 100% again.

The only thing I can think of that may be an issue is the amount of hoses provided. I'm thinking of mounting it on the frame rail behind the front wheel, or right behind the radiator. I will most likely need a new right angle drill [sm=happybounce.gif] for mounting the 2nd pyro in the exhaust. I'm shooting for the spot right before the collector off the #4 runner.

I'm open to suggestions on the filter mount location...

Old 12-18-2006, 05:43 AM
Cummin out smoke

I have 5' straight piping with a 6" tip. It gave me a mile per gallon better then the stock piping. I haven't noticed any power decrease. My buddy runs 4" straight piping and the sound on mine is quiet a bit deeper. Sounds like a semi. ITS AWESOME.The thing i love about it is that when you hit a certain pitch it sets off car alarms.

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete