Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Advice on 05 CTD

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:45 AM
countrydoctor
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 05 CTD

Found a fine-looking basic no frills 05 CTD to pull my camper. Price seems right. I don' t need 4x4 or power windows...

Are there any gremlins in the 05's that I need to watch out for?

Also looking for opinions on transmissions for towing: I'm assuming that the HD manual will be most likely to provide years of strong service, and will be less expensive to fix when that time comes. Am I anywhere near reality?

http://autos.yahoo.com/usedcars/deta...MsQUSBtUivTsUF

Old 12-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Advice on 05 CTD

I'm trying to see the shift pattern to tell you which tranny that truck has. 05 was a funny year in that the first 05's had the trusty NV5600, where as the later had the G56. you can tell the two apart by noteing where reverse is. NV5600 reverse is next to 5th, G56 is next to 2nd. from what I can see it looks like it may be a NV5600. I have the NV5600 in my truck and I have enjoyed it, been a VERY good tranny. the only downside is no repair parts are being made since New Venture was bought out by New Process and NV's doors closed. that is where it will be expensive to repair should something go wrong. . .however. . .if you take care of the tranny, keep good fluid in the tranny and keep it cool you wont have any problems.

it doesnt have cruise controll which does come in extreemly handy, but if youre looking for a no frills ride and something to pull the camper that thing will do it easily.

I would also wonder what gearing the rear end is. 3.73's or 4.10's. the 3.73's is realy all you will ever need. however if it has 4.10's be prepared to go 70 everywhere you go. I have 4.10's in mine and I have been thinking hard about an aux tranny to lower my final drive ratio since at 70mph I'm turning 2300rpm[:@]

looks like a good deal though.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:12 PM
donnie
Professional

Looks like a nice ride.
You should enjoy it.
Having an 05 myself, The only advice I can say is seriously think about putting gauges on it.
Drew, I think the stock gears were 3.73s 4.10 were an option.
Mine has 3.7s and at 70 it tachs at just at 2000.
Mine is also a single rear wheel and 4 spd auto.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:18 PM
countrydoctor
Rookie

Spoke to the dealer today, he looked on the spec sheet but couldn't tell which tranny it has. You are right about the rear end. It's got the 3.73; the four-ten is an option.

I was reading another post about trying to get a replacement tranny of the NV variety; 2800 clams for a used tranny? that's crazy! If this truck has the nv5600 I'm going to change it's fluid every week and let it sleep in my bed.....

But seriously, what are some tips for keeping the transmission cool while towing?

Old 12-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get some FAST coolers for it that also add capacity to the trans. The reason for the NV5600 being so expensive is that they are no longer being made, so it will be a hot comodity in the future.

The manual trans do not heat up like the auto's do, but if you have alot of power or pulling an extreemly heavy load then it will heat up good.

if you are still curious as to which trans is in the truck, just ask where reverse is located on the shift pattern. next to 2nd gear it is a G56, next to 5th it is a NV5600.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:22 PM
countrydoctor
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Drew

if you are still curious as to which trans is in the truck, just ask where reverse is located on the shift pattern. next to 2nd gear it is a G56, next to 5th it is a NV5600.
I will check it out myself and let you know on Monday when they deliver it to my office. SHHHHHH......don't tell Mayfair. He's been having a good time with my anxiety about deciding which truck to get!

Quick Reply: Advice on 05 CTD