Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Block heater. Is over night OK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 07:49 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Block heater. Is over night OK?

I wonder if hers is routed so that it comes out of the hole next to the fog light on her truck! If so then yes it is a small hole to get a hand in or out of. No wise cracks Mayfair.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Mayfair
Legend

This might be her answer from genos garage ...

WIGIDIGIT BLOCK HEATER BUMPER PLUG ('03 AND UP TRUCKS)

Item Number : WD-BHP

Unit Price: $34.95

Detailed Description
The block heater provided on the Cummins Turbo Diesel makes for quick warm-ups on cold mornings, and it is almost a necessity in the norther latitudes. But, rooting around behind the bumper in cold, soggy weather just to find and uncover the plug can certainly discourage its use.

Install a WigiDigit Block Heater Bumper Plug on your truck, and you have the heater connection located on a fixed position right up front behind a flip-open, waterproof cover. One hand can snap open the cover then plug in the power cord.

Installation consists of simply wiring in the 15-amp Marinco Connect Charge (TM) inlet plug into the factory block heater cord, and mounting the black, powder-coated bumper plate with one stainless steel bumper bolt

WigiDigit - Block Heater Bumper Plug '03 and Up

Old 12-08-2006, 08:11 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

I'm proud of you there Mayfair.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:16 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this 13 years ago. I should have patented "Diesel Demon Products"...lol.
ORIGINAL: Mayfair

This might be her answer from genos garage ...

WIGIDIGIT BLOCK HEATER BUMPER PLUG ('03 AND UP TRUCKS)

Item Number : WD-BHP

Unit Price: $34.95

Detailed Description
The block heater provided on the Cummins Turbo Diesel makes for quick warm-ups on cold mornings, and it is almost a necessity in the norther latitudes. But, rooting around behind the bumper in cold, soggy weather just to find and uncover the plug can certainly discourage its use.

Install a WigiDigit Block Heater Bumper Plug on your truck, and you have the heater connection located on a fixed position right up front behind a flip-open, waterproof cover. One hand can snap open the cover then plug in the power cord.

Installation consists of simply wiring in the 15-amp Marinco Connect Charge (TM) inlet plug into the factory block heater cord, and mounting the black, powder-coated bumper plate with one stainless steel bumper bolt

WigiDigit - Block Heater Bumper Plug '03 and Up

Old 12-08-2006, 08:20 PM
duneschick
Professional

03 and up?! We can rig it! I'll check around and see if any consist for the 01'. Yeah it gets a little chilly when the slush has built up in that area. Frozen wet hands and a pain to plug in- makes bad recipe when I come home and have to fetch dinner after all that work![:@] Yes it does come out of the pain in the butt hole for the the fogs. Good job Mayfair! ya held it back so far! LOL

Drew- great idea- why didn't I thinkl of that! Funny thing is when its icy on the bumper( I have to climb in the truck literally) I go for a ride straight to the gravel. Laugh everytime! Use the tires now! I got smart! Low on oil again though- only 77k miles on her-
Give er' a checkup in tha morning!

[IMG]local://upfiles/31532/A7BE32B2E2B2417B885DF31D134A17D1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Hey Demon, where di d you get the box that your using on your back bumper. That's more in line with what I'd like to have.

I don't need that 150.00 fancy pop out box ( although it IS nice ).

Old 12-09-2006, 01:14 AM
jakebrake
Champion

We got some nice polished stainless boxes at work, I've been meaning to mount one down by the fog lights, but haven't got to it yet.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:35 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Hey Demon, where did you get the box that your using on your back bumper. That's more in line with what I'd like to have.

Mayfair,...it's a heavy duty Hubbell electrical box. Go to an electrical supply house. Home Depot type places don't seem to carry anything as heavy. I used a 10 gauge extension cord (16 feet long) with a threaded, waterproof compression fitting into the box. I ran the wire through convoluted tubing (loom?), and then all along the driver's side frame rail next to the brake/fuel lines. I use a triple tap like you saw before topside.

You KNOW you want to do it. Go buy the box. Treat yourself to a Xmas present.....lol.

Peace my friend.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

Hey Demon, where did you get the box that your using on your back bumper. That's more in line with what I'd like to have.

Mayfair,...it's a heavy duty Hubbell electrical box. Go to an electrical supply house. Home Depot type places don't seem to carry anything as heavy. I used a 10 gauge extension cord (16 feet long) with a threaded, waterproof compression fitting into the box. I ran the wire through convoluted tubing (loom?), and then all along the driver's side frame rail next to the brake/fuel lines. I use a triple tap like you saw before topside.

You KNOW you want to do it. Go buy the box. Treat yourself to a Xmas present.....lol.

Peace my friend.
What about the connection itself? Is that part of the hubbel box, you know, where you plug your plug into the truck? ( lol ) Also, does the box come with the door is is that seperate.

Yeah dude, that is DEFINATELY on my list of things to do !! Thanks !!

Old 12-09-2006, 06:50 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

All the pieces are seperate, and all hubbell.

peace.......

Quick Reply: Block heater. Is over night OK?