Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Help! Cruise Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 01:05 PM
blaustin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Cruise Control Problem

On my 91 Cummins the cruise control would work 99% of the time. When it wouldn't engage if I would stop and turn off the truck and then restart it the cruise would generally start to work again. This time it quit and won't engage at all ever. Any suggestions other than buying a new truck? Can't afford one. Has the automatic transmission.

Thanks, Bob

Old 12-11-2006, 01:18 PM
brent78
Default RE: Help! Cruise Control Problem

On the topic of cruise control, mine won't let me set to cruise above 85 mph, is that normal?

Old 12-11-2006, 01:50 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check your brake light switch first, then the vacuum lines second.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:35 PM
blaustin

I finally had to take it to the local Dodge Dealer, He said it was the brake light switch, charged me $125 to tell me that. Put in a new brake light switch for $150 more but that didn't work either. Said the vacuum lines were good. Finally found a old shade tree mechanic who found the problem in a few minutes. He said the power sensor for the cruise was shot. It would get power in but no power out to energize the switch. Said that Dodge quit making them and I would have to find one in a junk yard. But, he also said he has fixed them before by putting a jump wire to the output and guess what? He was correct. Cruise now works perfectly. Charged me $30 total. Thank god for the old independent mechanics still out there who know a hell of alot more than the factory mechanics.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing you have to worry about is the wire carrying too much current and melting. but I would keep that guys number handy incase something else like that pops up and no one can figure it out.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:22 PM
bobertb
Default power sensor

Hey Bob, what is the power sensor you are talking about, and where is it. I have the same symptoms in my 93 cummins. thanks

Quick Reply: Help! Cruise Control Problem