Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Are Cummins good for towing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:41 AM
al5608
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Cummins good for towing?

In my area, Portland,Oregon. There are a boat load of Cummins trucks running around. But when ever i'm on the freeway. I only ever see Powerstrokes and Dmax's towing. Hardly ever see a Cummins towing anything. Just today I was on I-5, 110 mile round trip. I must have counted 40+ Powerstrokes, and 30+ Dmax's towing huge travel trailers and fun haulers. I couldn't believe it. I saw only 2 Cummins doing any towing. One was a smaller, maybe 20 foot travel trailer, the other was a big tripple axle fun hauler. But that's it, only 2. Everything else was a Ford or Chevy. I bought my Cummins to tow. I would like to get a fun hauler. But now i'm thinking, are Cummins not good for towing? What's the deal? Why did I see so many Fords/Chevy's, and only 2 Dodges?

Old 01-02-2008, 03:14 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Default RE: Are Cummins good for towing?

Cummins are better than any powerjoke or duracrap when it comes to towing. You get better MPG's while towing too.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:22 AM
finny
All Star

+1

Old 01-02-2008, 04:15 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

al5608

yes , cummins power is GREAT for TOWING!!

many of our members here tow huge boats, 5th wheels, toy haulers, construction equipment, and more just for fun ( and work too )

take a look at the video linked on this page. tellme if you feel like towing !!!

while you wait for it to load, turn up the VOLUME

CTD Show Of Force 2007

Old 01-02-2008, 04:21 AM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

There's a reason they don't put V-8 diesels in class 8 big trucks. There's also a reason they call powerstrokes powerjokes and duramaxes duracraps. To my knowledge there is no equivalent "jokespoof" namefor cummins. I drive an 18 wheeler mostly east of the miss riverand all I ever see out there in the light duty diesel class earning it's keep towing for a living with an ICC# on the door are cummins rams. The only guys who drive furds and chebbies are weekend heros towing toys or the rare people with an ICC# who wished they'd opted for a cummins. If you're loadedand want to pass furds and chebbies climbing hills effortlesslyget a Ram. If you want an IFS front suspension thatis a joke but rides like a caddyand feels like a cardon't get a Ram. If youdon't like seeing an engine but instead prefer a mass of wires, plastic shrouds, and a nightmare you couldn't possibly wrench onget something other than a Ram.If you want something reliable and proven to run ahalf million miles or more with proper care get a Ram.This from a guy who prefers fords in looks and when it comes to gassers butthe Ram is a fine truck and the cummins is second to none. Nothing pullsbetter than an ISB in the light duty class. Nothing pulls better than an ISX in heavy duty.That's the end of it no more explanation needed...

Old 01-02-2008, 06:16 AM
woligator
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: DiEseLjunKy

There's a reason they don't put V-8 diesels in class 8 big trucks. There's also a reason they call powerstrokes powerjokes and duramaxes duracraps. To my knowledge there is no equivalent "jokespoof" namefor cummins. I drive an 18 wheeler mostly east of the miss riverand all I ever see out there in the light duty diesel class earning it's keep towing for a living with an ICC# on the door are cummins rams. The only guys who drive furds and chebbies are weekend heros towing toys or the rare people with an ICC# who wished they'd opted for a cummins. If you're loadedand want to pass furds and chebbies climbing hills effortlesslyget a Ram. If you want an IFS front suspension thatis a joke but rides like a caddyand feels like a cardon't get a Ram. If youdon't like seeing an engine but instead prefer a mass of wires, plastic shrouds, and a nightmare you couldn't possibly wrench onget something other than a Ram.If you want something reliable and proven to run ahalf million miles or more with proper care get a Ram.This from a guy who prefers fords in looks and when it comes to gassers butthe Ram is a fine truck and the cummins is second to none. Nothing pullsbetter than an ISB in the light duty class. Nothing pulls better than an ISX in heavy duty.That's the end of it no more explanation needed...
well i dont know what i can had to this,and for those who know me its unbelivebable

Old 01-02-2008, 07:58 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Are Cummins good for towing?
Hell yeah!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:37 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Damn right

Old 01-02-2008, 09:17 AM
ZmanTRX4
Professional

My cummins pulls like a dream. I get a constant 15-16mpg HWY pulling 10-12k worth of construction equipment and anywhere between 18-22HWY unloaded. That's pretty darn good in my book!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:26 AM
behindbars

I tow this like it's not even back there. get 14-15 mpg with it on the highway too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/75003/44262DD39943410BBC73AC4B319527CC.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Are Cummins good for towing?