Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

dealer screwed up? whats new!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 03:26 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: dealer screwed up? whats new!!

Couldn't help out on the dealership, don't know any and don't go to any. Now if you had an international, or a kenworth I could help ya out

Old 12-14-2006, 09:09 PM
dixiedodge7369
Professional

once again im gonna have to shed some light on the dealer side since im a dealer tech.....
for one dont look to the service manager or service writer for technical assistance or expect them to know about specifics... there 9 times out of 10 automotivly challengend may act like they know a thing or two but dont...
2 if you brought your truck in for just a oil changed i can bet any money that the truck went to a Quick lube tech... esspecially if it was a free oil change.. they are just dumb asses of the street payed minimum wage to sling oil.... so they dont give a **** 1 and 2 dont know there *** from a drain plug.. they also like to act like they are a "tech".. pretending they know whats up... Also in all my years being a tech anything that goes wrong what soooooo ever is always blamed on the tech were the ones catching all the ****..
also about training factorys have requirements "brand standards".. as far as training its only required that 1 tech or 10 % of the technicians recieve factory training on a certain model for instance VW's new EOS came out a few months back so did every tech get EOS training?? no! me and the shop forman were the only ones... out of all the techs
so some techs may not EVER work on rams or may never went to school for them or may never have worked on a deisel or what not... most smaller Dodge dealerships dont even have a deisel tech so if you were to bring your deisel ram on for service just an oil change there not gonan turn you away there gonna take the oil changed but if you were to bring it in for say driveability concern they will act like there gonna fix it then sublet the work to maybe another dealer who has a deisel tech...
but maybe that dealer does have a deisel tech... and if they do they prolly only have 1 because how many deisel rams are there compairs to neons, stratus's. chargers, and so on
they may not see a deisel for weeks or even months at a time... and if your again just coming in for a oil change there not gonna take the deseil tech which is prolly gonna be a higher up tech with alot more experiance so are they gonna waste his time to do a oilchange??? when he could diag a real problem....
not knowing about the grease fitting doesnt make the dealer stupid or the techs you asked if they were even techs?? stupid maybe those people you talked to knew stratus's in and out and could work on them with there eyes closed but has never touched a ram before... again for instance my dealership knows i and the man on touregs and beetle convertable i know those 2 cars liek the back of my hand * hey whats that!* J/K so unless im superbacked up i get ALL touregs and beetle convertables
dealers are like that theres people who work on just transmissions or people who know a certain model really well and then theres people who NEVER TOUCH trans concerns but maybe that day there were a bunch of trans concerns and he had to... sooo once again were not stupid atleast not all of us..

Old 12-14-2006, 10:05 PM
countrydoctor
Rookie

Wow. That's worse than hospitals.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Methos
Veteran

Dixiedodge, good info and sounds just about right. But, would it be fair to call the service writer/manager stupid if you pop the hood show him the sticker that says "lube here" and they still deny it's existance

Yup... had it happen....

Old 12-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Hey Dixie, once again you've done a phoenominal job of shedding light on the life inside of a dealership. THANKS as always for your insight !!

I think the main problem here is the way the service manager acted though. He acted as though he knew it all and was even blod enough to put his ignorance in print.

EFF him !!

If he didn't know or wasn't sure and he came across that way, things would have been different. Instead, he chose the route of screwing the customer and as a result is going to have it come back and bite him on the a$$. I don't feel one bit sorry for him at all. He deserves what he has comming to him.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:32 PM
i11m10c2
Veteran

Ok so went to dealer yesterday to get the lube point done and they put the truck on the lift had the lube tech ,the diesel tech and two drivline techs look, and after 20 min they said it didnt have one on it. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!. so i went out with the service manager and the techs and looked for myself and they had no light under the truck ,i said how can you look for something that small without even putting a light on it? (more dumb looks) so i grabbed flashlight and mirror and had them lift front so i could rotate shaft they didnt even think of moving the shaft?? cleaned dirt from inside u joints no wonder they couldent find it and low and behold there she is the lube point (more supprised looks) and more pointin of fingers and then they said they had no idea it was there ,so then here came the profuse oppologys from everyone involved (you should have seen the service mngrs face ,stop light red!!) and then the diesel tech got a very public *** chewing. So then they got it lubed . And i made a point to thank the lube tech for a very clean oil change with no spills and very well cleaned up(young kid) i explained that i was not pissed at him ,because he was not given correct info (i remember what it was like starting out ) and i had my file updated and had him wright drive shaft lubed on shop report original. So thats done and over,and was told i should be recieving a call from the owner within the next week.

By the way the lube kid was in tech school for a degree in auto mech,and i personaly started in that position years ago ,so not all people that are lube techs are morons again he seems to take pride in his job and i dont know about your VW dealer but my wifes dealer has one lube man and he makes about $17 hr and has ben doing it for 6 yrs and is realy good somuch that the dealer only needs him to get all the lubes done.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:36 PM
dixiedodge7369
Professional

wow after all that they STILL couldent find it thats pretty amazing.. I mean the first time i lubed mine in my driveway it took a little looking to find it but it was right there..Dont sound like that dealership is a good one and all the things ive stated i can only go by the dealerships ive worked at...
The lube guys at the vw dealer im at here in chicago are idiots and there being paid minimum wage.. When i was wrenchin in SoCal at a vw dealer there we had 2 lube guys and there was one guy who had been there for like 5 years and he was still only makein like 9 50 he was decent and would always ask us if he dident know. just a plain cool guy... but WOW 17 dollars/hour i wanna know what they pay there techs cuz if there paying there lube guy that they must b paying there techs a lot more thats closer to what i make then to what our lube guys make...
but dont get me wrong im not saying all dealerships are good ive heard plenty of horrer storys i think ive just been lucky and been in goodones.. but management are idiots dont forget that. they are there o worry about the bottom line and bend over when the cust is pissed..
so im sorry about your bad dealership experiance it happens i guess i try and treat the cust and car like id like to be treated....

Quick Reply: dealer screwed up? whats new!!