Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

TO THE MODS..and anyone else that's "computer knowledged"...lol How do I....????

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:56 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TO THE MODS..and anyone else that's "computer knowledged"...lol How do I....????

I am not good with computers so I will ask.

As a lot of you know, I have the 95' manuals for 1500-3500, gas/diesel. As well as the 94' - 95' Powertrain manual, and the 93' - 95' Kelsey Hayes EBC-5H Antilock Brake System manuals. They are in superb shape.

How would I get them into one of these PDF files. And make the size realistic for downloading? Would DF allow it? Is it legal? I'm not a homewrecker........ I look for no trouble.

My friend has a scanner on his PC but he says it would take MEGA hours to to it that way. Any help there is appreciated too.

I'd love to share it with you guys.

And I hope everyone has a safe holiday for Xmas and New Years. This is a cool site with some pretty cool people in it.

Party at MAYFAIRS the 23rd. Who needs directions?

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/CBB810C731B84170BE8368294E7178B7.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-13-2006, 11:58 PM
aka_chewy
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TO THE MODS..and anyone else that's "computer knowledged"...lol How do I....????

I might be missing something, but what is the question????

Old 12-14-2006, 03:51 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: TO THE MODS..and anyone else that's "computer knowledged"...lol How do I....????

Crap, I gotta work on the 23rd[:@]. The only way I could see of doing it is scanning it page by page. I know international has them posted on their website (got to have dealer passwords to view), maybe dodge has sort of the same thing.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:11 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How would I get them into one of these PDF files. And make the size realistic for downloading?
Scanning them, page by page, would be the only way to do it. Painstaking.

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon
Is it legal?
Not without DC's approval. My website was shut down because of this. (My lazy *** hasn't sent a letter to DC yet asking for permission).

maybe dodge has sort of the same thing.
Ah.. well, kinda-sorta, not really. I think most stealerships either get all the new-model print books each year, or they get them on CD.
You can get access to DC's (expensive!!, $20 for 1 day, $200/month) website with all this. I signed up for this for a day back in May, IIRC none of the service manuals were in PDF format, all were in HTML (regular text with pictures) format.
They did have some speciatly stuff in PDF format (fuel injection stuff, OBDI/II stuff, and some transmission stuff). They also have TSBs on there, some are in PDF format, some in HTML format.
Oh yea, and pretty much nothing for pre-1996 vehicles.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:05 AM
cumminalong

I am not good with computers so I will ask.

As a lot of you know, I have the 95' manuals for 1500-3500, gas/diesel. As well as the 94' - 95' Powertrain manual, and the 93' - 95' Kelsey Hayes EBC-5H Antilock Brake System manuals. They are in superb shape.

How would I get them into one of these PDF files. And make the size realistic for downloading? Would DF allow it? Is it legal? I'm not a homewrecker........ I look for no trouble.
[sm=badidea.gif] Well, not really, but might get you into a little trouble.

Copyright laws brother.

Everybody wants to make their dollar.

But, if you were trying to do them on a flatbed scanner, it ould take FOREVER and it would be enormous. Now, if you have a large scanner (like the copier I have at work) you can remove the pages, laod them into the feeder and san it real quick. Then you use the OCR (optical character recognition) software to turn it into a Word document and it will be much small.

The problem with scanning is that it looks at the ENTIRE document and makes it a picture (huge). The OCR software finds just the actual filled portions of the document and converts it into a much smaller document.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:27 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

You could have Kinko's (or the like) transfer the books onto a file (most likely a PDF) but I am not sure how much that would cost you.

If you are going to scan them in for yourself and want to create PDFs later, Adobe is pretty costly for their PDF creation software. I would suggest in stead of Adobe use something like this.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Party at MAYFAIRS the 23rd. Who needs directions?
And you KNOW I'll be throwing another one of my doozies !!!

Quick Reply: TO THE MODS..and anyone else that's "computer knowledged"...lol How do I....????