Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Differential Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006 | 04:24 AM
Budlite
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Noise

I have a '02, 3500, Dually, extended cab with 44000 miles on it. I now have a noise coming from the rear end, like something is binding and releasing. It does have the limited slip differential. It only does it when making tight turns.If I release the clutch or put it in neutral (coasting), it doesn't do it. I suspect the posi-traction. Got any idea's?Will Dodge cover it?

Old 12-19-2006 | 11:22 AM
cumminalong
Default RE: Differential Noise

Being that you said it stops when you get off the throttle, I would definitely say it's the dif. The LSD is only operating when it receives input from the pinion, so when you are off the throttle it'll freewheel.

Have you ever changed the fluid in the rear end?

If not, start there. All clutch type LSD's need a limited slip additive to operate correctly, otherwise the bind up and wear out. What I usually do is change the gear oil and then go to a big open parking lot. Once I get there and the rear end is up to operating temp, add 2 oz's of the friction modifier at a time. Drive the truck, do a series of sharp turns. You are gonna hear the catching / binding. Add 2 oz's at a time until there is very little noticeable binding. Add too much and you'll basically have an open dif, as the clutches won't engage.

You'd be surprised at how well the LSD works when you actually use the correct amount of additive.

Or, worst case, your LS is shot and needs to be re-packed. Try the easy route first and change the fluids.

Old 12-23-2006 | 10:56 PM
Budlite

I changed the oil in the differential, replaced it with synthetic as it had it it before. That oil had 17000 miles on it. Dodge says, under the "B" schedule to change it every 11,250 miles according to my maual. Everything looked clean. The noise is still there, but about 75% less.
The manual says nothing about changing the oil in the 6 speed manual trans. Got any ideas?

Old 12-24-2006 | 12:28 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

If you changed the oil, did you use an oil with the friction modifier already in it, or did you add some? If no to both questions then add some friction modifier per above instructions.

Quick Reply: Differential Noise