Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

fuel mileage question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006 | 02:26 PM
crazykidjj87
|
Veteran
Default fuel mileage question

so i have my 03 cummins. when the guy i bought it off of delivered it to my house the over head said 18.7mpg. since ive been driving it ive been using 8oz of the PS additive like the guy said he did at every fill up. now from time to time my foot does get heavy and there nuttin that can be done(im sure you all agree). but the majority of the time im driving easy and smart because of the rediculous fuel prices. now that i ahve the truck the over head has been at the lowest 14.8 and the highest 15.2. its been anywhere between those 2 numbers. before i even got the truck registered i changed the oil and the fuel and oil filters. and ive put about 2200 miles on it so far. i know the biggest way to gain mileage is not to lay ur foot down all the time but ive been real good about it. but is there any little tricks to get some more mileage? any cheeper bolt-on mods? any fuel additives that anyone will stand behind? anything at all to gain some more mileage? im sure you all feel my pain with the prices rising so this may be a help for more than just me

thanks everyone

p.s. i have a tendendy to ramble. i dont mean to. it just happens and then i realize and by then its too late (see here i go again)

Old 12-28-2006 | 03:40 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional
Default RE: fuel mileage question

mmmmm...the only thing iv changed on my truck was the manifold to an ats intakemanifold and the banks wastegate. im doing bout 17.8-18.5 (non chipped). thats on light driving..but when i get heavy it gets down to bout 15 or so. that hurts my pocket![:@]

Old 12-28-2006 | 03:51 PM
jagj52
Rookie

Try doing a hand calculation.. i.e. with a calculator, next time you fill up. My wifes overhead display in her Durango is approx. 2.7 - 3.4 MPG off. You would probably be showing better milage by using a calculator to figure your milage... Plus it is not that hard to do.

Old 12-28-2006 | 04:27 PM
crazykidjj87
|
Veteran

cookie how much did the intake and banks wastegate run? how was the install? do you get the "blow off" sound with the waste gate?

jag i did a hand calculation...13.2 i got...after that i stopped and i figgured i would keep my spirits higher by seeing the 14-15 numbers

Old 12-28-2006 | 06:54 PM
Drew
Professional

find the steepest hill you can find and lay into it all the way to the top. do this two or three times and that might help.

you may have some carbon buildup on the injector tips that is giving you a bad burn pattern causing you to use more fuel to develop the same power.

also, when you do this you may see alot of black smoke from the tail pipe

Old 12-28-2006 | 08:55 PM
crazykidjj87
|
Veteran

thanks drew. i live on a pretty decent hill so ill do it a few times on my way home next time im out. should i load up with some additive while doing it? just to give a little extra cleaning power?

EDIT: drew, just had an idea. should i get a can of seafoam and use the whole damn thing to be sure everything is clean? if so, where should i dump it in? i used the seafoam on my gasser and it made a hugeee difference. i put it through the pcv valve and through the hose off the master cylinder. but idk where either of these would be on the cummins.

Old 12-29-2006 | 03:11 AM
cookie_monstr
Professional

ORIGINAL: crazykidjj87

cookie how much did the intake and banks wastegate run? how was the install? do you get the "blow off" sound with the waste gate?

jag i did a hand calculation...13.2 i got...after that i stopped and i figgured i would keep my spirits higher by seeing the 14-15 numbers
the intake was easy....the wastgate was a pain... thats if u dont want to take off the manifold which i didnt...so ...next time i plan to mess around with the wastegate i prob take off the mani to make it alot easier....i posted pics up of the build up.
from stock to the add ons was a significant diff. the blow off sound isnt as much. but if u have the radio off..then yeah u will hear it. jus tingles my spine.

Old 12-29-2006 | 03:23 AM
cookie_monstr
Professional

hope this works...copy paste this... its a link that has the photos i took while i did the work
https://dodgeforum.com/m_619401/tm.htm

Old 12-29-2006 | 11:59 AM
Drew
Professional

seafoam is some good stuff, just pour the whole can in the fuel tank.

Old 12-29-2006 | 12:04 PM
crazykidjj87
|
Veteran

if i do the seafoam ill probably do it when im lower on fuel so its more concentrated and will clean a liittle better. actually i have like half a tank so im going to buy some right now actually

anyone have any info/experience on a rokktech crank sensor? good/bad? long term effects good or bad? noticable fuel mileage increase or decrease? price? ease of install? where to buy? power increase or decrease? pinging or knocking? still use fuel additives?

thanks guys

Quick Reply: fuel mileage question