Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

98 Cummins Help Please ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 98 Cummins Help Please ??

Fire, I too have a 98 and I too had the same exact problem that you're having with your tranny.

It turned out to be a BAD GROUND !!!

All I had to do was clean the battery terminals throughly as well as where the ground wire meets the block and everything was fine. A magazine called Gears did a story on it a few months ago. Apparently it's pretty common. It's an easy fix and costs you nothing but time. I coated my terminals after cleaning them with some sort of Permatex stuff that helps prevent corrosion. It's purple.

Good luck, and [sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 01-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 98 Cummins Help Please ??

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Fire, I too have a 98 and I too had the same exact problem that you're having with your tranny.

It turned out to be a BAD GROUND !!!

All I had to do was clean the battery terminals throughly as well as where the ground wire meets the block and everything was fine. A magazine called Gears did a story on it a few months ago. Apparently it's pretty common. It's an easy fix and costs you nothing but time. I coated my terminals after cleaning them with some sort of Permatex stuff that helps prevent corrosion. It's purple.

Good luck, and [sm=welcomesign.gif]
either this, or the wireing harness to the trans is grounding out.

Quick Reply: 98 Cummins Help Please ??