Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

I'm tired of stretching for the volume!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006 | 08:22 PM
rshackleford
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm tired of stretching for the volume!

I have a 2006 ram and I am tired of reaching way forward to change the volume of the radio.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what install kits and cables I would need to install a new in dash receiver? Where should I get these?

Economics is important to me. I know that I can get what I need for a minimum of $165 at Crutchfield. The cheapest receiver that comes with free install is $130 + free shipping + free install kit + $35 accessory wire kit (half price with purchase of receive I am told). So anyway, if anyone has other advice on this I would love to hear it.

The ultimate for me would to be able to add OEM steering controls, but I would guess that this is not possible. Thanks

Old 12-30-2006 | 10:36 PM
Welder597
Rookie
Default RE: I'm tired of stretching for the volume!

I have a 2005 and the dealer wanted 1500.00 to do the steering wheel conversion. I bought a Panasonic reciever with remote and installed it myself for 150.00

Old 12-30-2006 | 11:14 PM
moconst
Veteran

I hear ya there, as advanced as everything is now days the radio should have a remote.

Old 12-30-2006 | 11:43 PM
rshackleford
|

ORIGINAL: Welder597

I have a 2005 and the dealer wanted 1500.00 to do the steering wheel conversion. I bought a Panasonic reciever with remote and installed it myself for 150.00
What did you need to install it? it seems like i read the 2005 and 2006 are different though.

Old 12-31-2006 | 02:44 AM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

Yeah Dodge did a poor job ergonomically on radio placement. Also the cupholders on 6 speed manuals are almost entirely worthless. I had an XM radio in my old truck which I took out before I traded. It only cost $80 and came with a remote which I could not live without in my Ram. You can get them in truckstops or at Wal Mart and they take about 30 minutes to install. It sends the signal to an FM station that you tune in. I have it mounted just below my rear view mirror. I snaked the antenna wire around the door trim and stuff around to the back and thru the sliding glass window and stuck it up on top of the cab behind the Sirius one. I sometimes might listen to a little AM radio but the CD's, FM and Sirius are such a PITA to flip through that I dont bother. There are certainly more expensive ways and you can get radios with 10 disk changers, butt wipers, and everything under the sun with remotes if you've got the cash to lay down but I dont need any of that crap so my XM setup suits me just fine.

Old 12-31-2006 | 12:45 PM
rshackleford
|

That still doesn't help me with the volume when i get a telephone call or engine noise makes the radio to quite.

Old 12-31-2006 | 04:51 PM
rshackleford
|

Mod---please move to 3rd gen forum. this is probably more appropriate for over there then in the CTD forum.

thanks.

Old 01-01-2007 | 03:58 AM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

Well, you can mute the volume on XM with the remote but it cant be fine tuned. I still gotta reach over to do that. Engine noise has never been a problem the FM transmitter works just fine. So for $165 something you install yourself is probably about as good as you're going to get if it has everything you need I suppose. XM is all the radio I want but if I were in your shoes honestly I think I'd pick out what I wanted, try to get good deals on price etc, talk to a reputable local radio shop somewhere (maybe they can make you a deal on some stuff) and let a pro put something nice in.

Old 01-01-2007 | 06:55 PM
handymanherb
Banned

I drove my BIL's 1500 Quad Hemi with the steering wheel option and there's only a 8 inchseparation from reaching for the button behind the wheel to just reaching over and using the radio ****, the only plus is the wheel did have the mute button so you could come back to the same volume

Old 01-01-2007 | 10:17 PM
Welder597
Rookie

I just bought a stereo install kit from circuit city and wiring harness kit, just plug and play

Quick Reply: I'm tired of stretching for the volume!