Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Finally! A good story!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006 | 11:34 AM
cumminalong
Default Finally! A good story!

Actually 2 of them.

So last night I'm going to a buddy's house to watch the UFC fights. Great night of fights by the way, except the Ortiz / Liddell fight. Ref stopped it WAY too soon.

Now, I don't condone street racing by any means, but...

Anyways, I stop at a light and up pulls an older 5.0 Mustang. He rev's the motor a little, nothing special, just usually hilly billy crap around here. So I say screw it, give a little wind up of the CTD. Ding, ding, ding, he wants to play.

So I drop into 4H, hit the tow/haul, and power brake 'er up to 1800. Light goes green and all I see is 5.0 dropping back. Wasn't even close. He backed out after about a 1/16th of a mile after he realized that he just got dusted off by a big, heavy truck.

So I get to his house an him, his wife, and my wife wann go to dinner. Off we go. We get done and I stop at the same stop light. Up pulls an older 4.3L S10. He pulls up, revin' and revin' and redneck revin'. I say, "Oh, this is gonna be cute".

So now I have me and 3 other folks in the truck. Did I mention I have about a 1/3 of the bed filled with Oak firewood.

So anyways, 4H, tow / haul, 1800 RPM's. The wife is pissed, my buddy is wondering what I'm spooling the truck up for (gas guy) and the light goes green and this guy becomes victim number 2 of the night.

Now my buddy is rollin' on the floor, even the wives were giggling pretty good.

Soooooo, even with all the friggin problems with this truck, it'll still go okay.

Old 12-31-2006 | 02:45 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Finally! A good story!

I had a grin the whole time reading your stories ;-) It's always fun to stump another ride
every once in a while.

My wife is the same way.... pissed because I'm doing it but, gitty as hell because we won !

Old 12-31-2006 | 03:12 PM
ramspeed
Rookie

You guys have all the fun,WhenI let the window down and ask if they want to have some fun with a little six cylinder,they always say nooooooooo.Maybe they think they might hurt an old white haired guy's feelings.

Later tater

Old 12-31-2006 | 03:29 PM
cumminalong

You know what's funny....when the CEL light comes on (like it is now), I have my power back.

The last time they re-flashed it, the updated flash killed the power over 2K. But the computer is reverting back to the previous flash when the CEL comes on and I then have my power back. I explained this to the dealer and the morons at STAR and they said that the flash should not have anything to do with it, as it only addresses the problems with the block heater.

I said, well whatever it's doing, when the light comes on and the old program is in, I have power again. You figure it out.

It was even more fun explaining to my buddy about pre-loading the turbo, turning on the tow/haul, etc. He has a Ford V10, like my old truck, and never knew how quick the new diesels are. He grew up on a ranch out west and they always had the old non-turbo'd Fords and couldn't believe how that got up and moved.

The wife was laughing, she goes, "That's what he's talking about when he says black clouds of diesel death"

Old 12-31-2006 | 03:39 PM
usafr
All Star

At least your wife tries to discourage you,, mine eggs it on. I let her drive my truck one time,, she got out feindin like a crackhead wanting to drive it again. I love the stories though,, it's always fun to smoke something. You spool up first,,, I give em a sportin chance, and leave in 2wd and start from idle. It kinda gets their hopes up b/c they start out in the lead,, then of course, I always come up from behind and attack with extreme ferociousness,, they always lose. It's not how quick u win the battle, it's how much fun you had while fighting.

Old 12-31-2006 | 03:50 PM
boxerdiesel
Rookie

Hey cumminalong, just want to know buy CEL u mean Check Engine Light correct? If so let me know what happens if they get our truck figuered out. I have a 05 1500 hemi that has magor starting issues and some power loss and every time the light come on it all gose away. thanks

Old 12-31-2006 | 05:49 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: usafr

At least your wife tries to discourage you,, mine eggs it on. I let her drive my truck one time,, she got out feindin like a crackhead wanting to drive it again. I love the stories though,, it's always fun to smoke something.
Man, I hate even letting the wife drive mine, or any of my trucks for that matter. She would drive my last truck and thought she was invincible. She drives this one and thinks she's in a friggin semi.

ORIGINAL: usafr
You spool up first,,, I give em a sportin chance, and leave in 2wd and start from idle. It kinda gets their hopes up b/c they start out in the lead,, then of course, I always come up from behind and attack with extreme ferociousness,, they always lose. It's not how quick u win the battle, it's how much fun you had while fighting.
You guys are all running programmers and boxes and stuff. I'm bone stock..............unfortunately. I'm also a firm believer in end it fast and leave no room for a glimmer of hope.

ORIGINAL: boxerdiesel

Hey cumminalong, just want to know buy CEL u mean Check Engine Light correct? If so let me know what happens if they get our truck figuered out. I have a 05 1500 hemi that has magor starting issues and some power loss and every time the light come on it all gose away. thanks
Yes, Check Engine Light.

Mine is probably a whole different issue than yours brother. I have on my last invoice from the dealer (I had them bold and highlight this) "No Known Fix At This Time" It keeps reverting back to the previous version of the flash and then the sensors start throwing codes. Mine has pretty much had everything except the body and frame replaced and it's still jacked up.

Mine is about to be repurchased / replaced under Lemon Law. It's been in 14 times now.

Old 01-02-2007 | 09:13 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

I let my 15.5 year old give my truck a try up the hill to our house. It was dry out and our road is pretty deserted. So she gets in and I tell her, this is not like Mommy's car, go easy.

So she gets in and cranks the motor over. Adjusts the seat, mirrors just like she has been taught. I lean over and crank the Edge down to 0 (stock).

Just as I am going to explain to her that the throttle is very responsive, she mashes on the throttle. Next thing I know we are barreling up the mountian. She is laughing and I am as white as ghost. She backs off at my insistance then she pulls the truck over and states,

"Funny but you don't look that way when I am the passanger."

Old 01-03-2007 | 02:23 AM
usafr
All Star

HAHAHAHA,, thats funny, and cute. I still have quite a few more years until mine starts driving,, she made 7mts on the 1st. I hate to think what kind of cars will be on the road by then.

Old 01-03-2007 | 02:38 AM
dieselram
Captain

ORIGINAL: boxerdiesel

I don't know about the Hemi Ram's, but when the CEL comes on in the gasser I own the engine oges into "safe" mode and retards the timing while over fueling.

Quick Reply: Finally! A good story!