Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

On a Budget

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007 | 03:04 AM
tbchick
Default On a Budget

New to the Diesel also new to the Dodge. Use to be a dihard Ford guy. Question about my new truck

I have about 3k miles on it and hand calc mileage is 15. with a mix of city and highway.

Just as the title states I want to make some improvements on the mileage within a budget. What is the most likely to make that happen within a budget. ( Cannot afford anything major as have 3 kids in college). The turck has plenty of power for what i use it for. Just looking to make improvement on the fuel bill.

Future mod within the next few months is to add a leveling kit from Revtek and add 33" tires if that makes a difference.

Old 01-02-2007 | 03:28 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Default RE: On a Budget

Welcome! 16 oz. of Power Service Diesel(PSD) and 8 oz. Marvel Mystery Oil(MMO) both at Walmart, per tankusually gives 1-3mpg improvement.
The light foot on the pedal helps too. Check the mileage thread at the top of the page also. You may want to consider a Rokktech timing sensor, I installed one about 1K ago but with winter fuel and longer idling I haven't seen mileage go up just yet.

Old 01-02-2007 | 01:24 PM
donnie
Professional

Shortly after I got my 05, I started using Power Service and MMO.
I did notice a small improvement on the mileage. Also, the more mileage the engine gets, the better the mileage.
Iv got 30K on mine now and get somewhere between 17 to 20 depending on the type of traffic.
Being retired, Im also on a budget so anything that I can do will help in the long run.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-02-2007 | 02:17 PM
Methos
Veteran

Try the PSD/MMO mix, it helps some plus it seems to make the engine run a little smoother. Especially with the ULSD I can tell a difference in noise.

Also, remember you don't have it broken in yet. I saw a steady trend up on my milage with a noticable jump between 15 and 20K. Past 30K and I'm averaging a tad over 20 (highway, around 160-180 miles daily - half at 75 mph, half at 65)

Old 01-02-2007 | 03:45 PM
jagj52
Rookie

Quick question about thr Rokktech sensor... Will it work on my '01. Most of the people posting about it have models newer than mine.

Thanks for the input guys

Allen

Old 01-02-2007 | 09:04 PM
gtxpooch
All Star

Quick Reply: On a Budget