Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

lift pump??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lift pump??

What do you mean by "both" pumps?

Old 03-06-2007, 07:13 PM
gregj3
Amateur

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

What do you mean by "both" pumps?
Both the lift and the injector pump. The garage says the lift pump failed, which in turn took out the injector pump.

What happened was the engine stalled and wouldn't start again. No water light, just nuthin...I tried a priming cycle (bump the ignition to get the pump going). I bled out a little fuel to make sure that it wasn't water...but she won't start. My fiance (against my better judgement) talking me into having the truck brought to a garage, instead of the house. Now I am looking at a $3,000 bill.

Yikes!

Upon doing some more research, this issue is ALL over the 'net about Dodges with the Cummins Diesel. Is there a recall or someone I can call to complain to and possibly get this covered under some type of warranty? Has anyone else had any luck with this?

Comments? Thoughts?

To say I'm rather P.O.'d is an understatement right now.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Mayfair
Legend

What year is your truck? Perhaps it IS still uner warranty, I dunno.

As far as your current situation, assuming that it isn't still under warranty, I'd probably take it home and at least install a lift pump myself. Looks kinda simple ... even for me ... LOL. If after installing the lift pump ( I'd go with the FASS ) if the truck still won't fire up, THEN I'd probably let the garage ( probably the dealer ) handle that part since it sounds like a somewhat complicated and involved job.

I dunno ... hopefully someone else will chime in for ya.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:26 PM
gregj3
Amateur

I bought it used, I doubt there's a warranty of any kind. It's a 2002, and had less than 40k on it when I bought it. It's got about 50k. IMO, those pumps went WAY to early. I've done some pretty complex things in my life. Any recommendations on injector pumps, or am I really looking for trouble?

Here's the truck - https://dodgeforum.com/fb.asp?m=688837

Old 03-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Oh yeah, I remember your truck now. I STILL dig your cap !!

Well, as far as how complex installing the injector pump goes, someone else will hafta pipe up. I remember hearing stories and thinking to myself " I know my limits, and this job sounds a bit past them". Only because it's my daily driver though. If it was a toy, I'd try it in a heartbeat.

The FASS though is the lift pump I'm going with once it warms up a bit. I'm pretty confident that I can tackle that one. You saw the link that I gave up earlier with the install pics right? Walks you right on through step by step. As far as where to purchase it, Drew reccomended this guy:

http://www.kensps.citymaker.com/page/page/3703222.htm

That's where I'll be buying it from.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:43 PM
rbmchief
Rookie

have you guys seen the new eliminator pump from http://www.wickeddiesels.com/eliminator.htm. what do you think. i was getting ready to order my fass system but this looks pretty impressive. i don't know which way to go

Old 03-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Collinlancaster

doesn't dodge have a five year 100,000mile warranty on the cummins?I would try that and see if you can sqeak in,it would be worth a shot any way,huh?

Old 03-07-2007, 01:13 AM
gregj3
Amateur

ORIGINAL: Collinlancaster

doesn't dodge have a five year 100,000mile warranty on the cummins?I would try that and see if you can sqeak in,it would be worth a shot any way,huh?
I was going to call Dodge with the VIN number handy to find out what my options are. I don't know about any 100k warranty. Besides, this truck is an '02, which makes it 5 years old, even though it has less than 50k on it...I think the warranty is long gone. I dunno.

I'm still looking for recommendations...

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:21 AM
gregj3
Amateur

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Oh yeah, I remember your truck now. I STILL dig your cap !!

Well, as far as how complex installing the injector pump goes, someone else will hafta pipe up. I remember hearing stories and thinking to myself " I know my limits, and this job sounds a bit past them". Only because it's my daily driver though. If it was a toy, I'd try it in a heartbeat.

The FASS though is the lift pump I'm going with once it warms up a bit. I'm pretty confident that I can tackle that one. You saw the link that I gave up earlier with the install pics right? Walks you right on through step by step. As far as where to purchase it, Drew reccomended this guy:

http://www.kensps.citymaker.com/page/page/3703222.htm

That's where I'll be buying it from.
Thanks for the comment on the cap. I need the cap to protect my instruments from the weather (I'm a weekend musician - http://www.thewhiskeyriverband.com ). My fiance hates it, but it's so heavy to take off and put back on, we mostly just leave it on.

I did see your post about the fass system. That is something I could handle. I'm going to have to look into the injector pump project. Got any links that might help me out, or make me feel better that the truck is still at the garage? [:@]

Old 03-07-2007, 02:50 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: gregj3
(I'm a weekend musician - http://www.thewhiskeyriverband.com ).
I checked out your link. The band sounds pretty tight. The drummer could use some work, but then again it may just be the u-tube link. Sometimes they make things sound worse than they actually are. The guitar work and the harmonica are tight though.

As far as your truck, like I said before hopefully someone else will be able to hook you up.

Quick Reply: lift pump??