Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

lift pump??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Rev800
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lift pump??

I had the same problem last year...both pumps died. I did the job myself (I did have a friend help). I took us 2 nights 8 hours total to install a new FASS system along with a new VP44 injector pump. We took our time on the injector pump following the instructions carefully but it really was not that dificult, the only thing that slowed us up any was the double and triple checking the timing on the new pump. The follwing link is what we used as a guide for installing the new pump. http://www.mwfi.com/vp44_Installation_info.htm. Inspection mirror and gear puller are a must have. Total cost for both was $1,800 ($1,200 VP44 and $600 FASS)

Old 03-08-2007, 02:07 AM
Collinlancaster

the warranty covers the motor.i had a vp44 go out on my last 01ctd @89000 miles and they covered it .

Old 03-08-2007, 11:42 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

It sounds like to me that the garage that you took it to found a way to make a quick $3k.

I don't know how they (the garage) could tell if both of them are bad at the same time unless they pulled the VP44 out and did a bench test or put a good lift pump on the truck temporarily to test the VP44. Did you get any fault codes when it died?

Here's the route I'd take before spending any money. Check the lift pump. First check the fuse for the pump. Mine blew a fuse going through town and just died with no warning or indicationand nofault codes! I replaced the fuse, bumped the starter a few times to bleed the air out of the lines, and it has been working ever since. Don't know what caused the fuse to go, it just did. Next I'd check the fuel pressure at the VP44. Get a generic fuel pressure gauge with a schraeder valve on the end at your local parts store for $25 (or borrow one from a buddy). If it is 0, then you more than likely have a bad lift pump. If it is low psi, check your fuel filter and make sure it isn't clogged. I have found out that it doesn't take much to clog the filter enough to starve the VP44. If you have low psi and no clogged filter, you more than likely have a bad lift pump. If you have an in-tank lift pump normal psi will be around 10, if you have the OEM lift pump, you should see around 14-15psi.

The lift pump is the less expensive part. So if you have any indications that it is bad or going bad. I'd replace it first and see if the truck starts. If you replace it and the truck still has problems, then it is time to look at the VP44.

Google "VP44" and you will find several places that sell rebuilt ones for around $1000-$1200.

The good news is that your truck died a fast death. There is a good chance that just the lift pump died and no damage was done to the VP44 since the truck quit working. I have been lucky because this has happened to me 2 times and I am still running the original VP44 with 164,000 miles on it. Once the fuse blew and the truck imediately stopped. The other time the lift pump died a sudden death and the truck imediately stopped. If the truck had continued to run, I more than likely would have been buying a VP44 too.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

The lift pump is the less expensive part. So if you have any indications that it is bad or going bad. I'd replace it first and see if the truck starts. If you replace it and the truck still has problems, then it is time to look at the VP44.
Whoo - Hoo !!!

I'm K.A.T. smart !!! Thats what I said 3 or 4 posts ago.Thanks for making my day Cowboy !!

Quick Reply: lift pump??