Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

best guages?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 04:01 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: best guages?

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

The only other major part of the turbo is the wastegate. The wastegate opens when the predetermined amount of boost pressure is exceeded. The wastegate opens, and gives the exhaust gases a direct path into the downpipe. The rerouted exhaust gases bypass the turbine, so the turbo loses some of it's "drive". It slows down and reduces the amount of boost. When the boost pressure falls below the wastegate setting, the gate closes and now all the exhaust gases are once again driving the turbine.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/A4FFCE27C5FE40EC912FD171AEB8215C.gif[/IMG]
As always brotha, you are da MAN !!! Your explanation was awesome !! Even I could understand, but as usual, I have another question.

You mention the wastegate and give an explanation, however I still don't get it. Why do you need a wastegate? Your diagram doesn't show a pic of the wastegate either.

I'm getting the gist of the turbo and what it does, but couldn't it also run off of a belt and not use the exhaust gas / pressure to drive it, or are we now talking about a blower?

As always, thanks my friend for your explanations and your paitence.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:48 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

The only other major part of the turbo is the wastegate. The wastegate opens when the predetermined amount of boost pressure is exceeded. The wastegate opens, and gives the exhaust gases a direct path into the downpipe. The rerouted exhaust gases bypass the turbine, so the turbo loses some of it's "drive". It slows down and reduces the amount of boost. When the boost pressure falls below the wastegate setting, the gate closes and now all the exhaust gases are once again driving the turbine.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/A4FFCE27C5FE40EC912FD171AEB8215C.gif[/IMG]
As always brotha, you are da MAN !!! Your explanation was awesome !! Even I could understand, but as usual, I have another question.

You mention the wastegate and give an explanation, however I still don't get it. Why do you need a wastegate? Your diagram doesn't show a pic of the wastegate either.

I'm getting the gist of the turbo and what it does, but couldn't it also run off of a belt and not use the exhaust gas / pressure to drive it, or are we now talking about a blower?

As always, thanks my friend for your explanations and your paitence.

Ok, here's a few pics for ya...lol. One pic is what the wastegate actuator looks like, the other pic (although not Dodge) shows a pic of the turbine (which is driven by the exhaust gases), and to the right of it is the actual wastegate. (the round disc you see). The picture of the turbine shows the backside where the downpipe would attach.

Now, look at the actuator pic. I circled the two little barbed fittings. That's where the rubber hose from the COMPRESSOR side of the turbo connects to. If your turbo is making 30lbs of boost, there is also 30 lbs of pressure flowing through that rubber hose, and into the actuator. If that actuator was set for 30 lbs and you ran 25lbs all day, that actuator does nothing. Now, you tromp on the pedal, the boost increases to 31lbs of boost. The arm on that actuator starts to extend outwards. The other end of the pushrod is attached to the wastegate. When the arm starts to extend out, the wastegate starts to open.

Now look at the turbine pic.At 30lbs and below, every bit of exhaust gas is being forced through the tubine only. The turbine is the piece that looks like a fan blade. Right next to it is the wastegate. When the boost hits 31lbs+, that wastegate is open by the actuator pushrod. Now the exhaust gas has an unobstructed path AROUND the turbine. Not every bit of exhaust gas pressure is diverted. The turbine is still being driven, only to the point where 30lbs of boost will be produced.

That actuator and wastegate can open and close several times during driving. It may open just a small amount, or open wide. Depends on how far your foot is on the throttle....lol.

We have wastegates so that excessive boost is not produced. Too much boost would float your cylinderhead right up off the block. Too much boost could blow an intercooler boot or the intercooler itself. The more boost you create means more exhaust gas, which means higher EGTs. Hopefully you have a large diameter exhaust system to help keep EGTs down.

If you ran the turbo off a drive belt, you would only need the compressor side. At that point, you would have a supercharger. (blower). Using a belt would mean you have to rob horsepower to make horsepower. With a turbo, you are utilizing power that is a direct result of combustion.

Anyway, hope this clears up some of the wastegate issue. Now I am off for breakfast. Catch ya for lesson 3 later....LOL.

Adios muchachos.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/1F0259C6449F4C08A5FBFE14E6AD5F9A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/BADF28A7A2714E25A3F72022619A6B99.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Mayfair
Legend

We have wastegates so that excessive boost is not produced. Too much boost would float your cylinderhead right up off the block. Too much boost could blow an intercooler boot or the intercooler itself. The more boost you create means more exhaust gas, which means higher EGTs. Hopefully you have a large diameter exhaust system to help keep EGTs down.

If you ran the turbo off a drive belt, you would only need the compressor side. At that point, you would have a supercharger. (blower). Using a belt would mean you have to rob horsepower to make horsepower. With a turbo, you are utilizing power that is a direct result of combustion.

Anyway, hope this clears up some of the wastegate issue.
[sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif] PERFECT !! [sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif]

Thanks man ...

Old 02-11-2008, 07:22 PM
sallyman1
Captain

does the wastegate need the airline to open or close? If we plug our air line to our 2004.5 ram diesel will it ever open?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:10 AM
apappal
Amateur

Where have you guys installed your fuel pressure sending units.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 AM
lesimon
Professional

Hey DieselDemon are those rotary switches on your gauges. If so where did you get them. Thanks Lane

Quick Reply: best guages?