Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Recommended Oil Analysis Lab?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 08:51 PM
sabersix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Oil Analysis Lab?

I'm looking for a good lab to perform oil analysis. Anyone have any recommendations? Warnings? What can I expect to pay?

I'm currently using AMSOIL 10W-40 synthetic with about 5000 miles (40000 miles on the truck). How many miles can I expect to get using synthetic and an oil analysis program?

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2007, 11:43 PM
49lambert
Rookie
Default RE: Recommended Oil Analysis Lab?

check out Geno's garage. They have a sample kit for $14.95

Old 01-13-2007, 09:58 AM
sabersix

ORIGINAL: 49lambert

check out Geno's garage. They have a sample kit for $14.95
Thanks. I checked out that kit. Have you used it? Does the price include the lab report?

Old 01-13-2007, 02:59 PM
lesimon
Professional

I use Finning/Cat dealer here in Canada $18 canadian for analysis, I'm sure that it would be the same in the US.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:20 PM
bekim
Professional

I've used Blackstone Labs, and Oilguard. Blackstone is 20 for analysis with personalized comments. It is another 10 for TBN testing. Oilguard is less, but they don't give as good a report(just the basic numbers, with no comments)
The how many miles can I go is a tougher question. With bypass systems, some never change their oil. They just change filters, add make-up oil and send another sample for oil analysis at intervals of 5-10,000 mi.
I'd say use the oil analysis data to judge whether your oil is still within operating limits, and go from there.
Check ou the labs' sites and pick the one that appeals to you.
Cheers
Mike
###

Old 01-13-2007, 10:33 PM
SMOKINGREY
Rookie

Im a mechanic at a localcat dealer,all you have to do hear is buy the kit take the sample fill it out for what you want or inspecting and turn it in and the copy will be mailed to you in bout two weeks.it cost about $16.95.well owrth it i take one with every oil change just to make sure that my afe is doing its job.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:59 PM
handymanherb
Banned

So what's the proper way to sample, I thinking before you change the filter and top it back off

Old 01-14-2007, 12:11 AM
sabersix

I've just ordered a vacuum pump and free sample kit from Blackstone Laboratories.

In my case, since I'm running synthetic oil, I plan to take a sample (through the dipstick tube) at 5,000 miles. Depending on the results, I'll go another 2,500-5,000 miles before taking a new sample. Supposedly, the AMSOIL is good for at least 15,000 miles. If I had an oil bypass filter system, I supposedly could go 60,000-100,000 miles without changing the oil (only filters and top-off oil), but I can't justify the added cost of that right now.

The oil analysis results will give me peace of mind about the extended oil change intervals. The 3,000 mile interval for gassers is a hard mindset to break...

Old 01-14-2007, 04:22 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: sabersix
The oil analysis results will give me peace of mind about the extended oil change intervals. The 3,000 mile interval for gassers is a hard mindset to break...
It’s that 3K mind set that made and keeps making Jiff Lube and others very rich. Hell even GMC/Chevy with their oil minder and other information has not yet made much of a dent in that mindset so don't feel to badly. But then for the ones who do drive 80% or more in town stop and go traffic need that 3K oil change to keep their 4-6 qt oil capacity cars in half way good shape.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:05 PM
handymanherb
Banned

I kept AMS Oil in my Dakota and went 7500 miles with no problems, It has 225 thousand and still running like new, so I think the money on a filter system will be money well spent, if I can can the most out of my oil and my engine.

Quick Reply: Recommended Oil Analysis Lab?