Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Call to arms

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Call to arms

Guys check out the thread in the 3rd gen forum bout buying an 07 power wagon. We got a few hemi boys saying that the hemi is faster and more suited for offroad than a cummins diesel. I already told them the cummins is by far better and not to mention si much faster than a hemi and that all the stuff your paying for on the power wagon can be bought in the aftermarket for less than the power wagon he is looking at which is 50k

link https://dodgeforum.com/m_670440/tm.htm

Old 01-12-2007, 09:46 PM
MrSlug
Veteran
Default RE: Call to arms

It was always be a matter of opinion. I don't a 2500 or 3500 ram is really suited for heavy off roading. Just look at most of the real off road rigs, Jeeps, Toyotas, etc. The problem with using a CTD like ours is the +400 weight penalty over the Hemi.

Don't get me wrong, our CTDs can do a lot off road, but I think the weight penalty we pay is way too high to make a serious off roader.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:49 PM
sabersix

It just sad that they don't know any better. Time to educate the unwashed masses...

Old 01-12-2007, 10:09 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

lets see some pictures of our CTD's off-roadin and burnin some rubber. tease them hemi boys. my girlfriends brother has a hemi and he thinks its hott ****. all i have to tell him is hook up the chain and put ur truck in 4 wheel drive.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:26 PM
cumminalong

It ain't worth the fight brother. They all believe the "Hemi Hype" in the advertising. Let them have at it.

I've gone as far as telling one of the guys over there, I think it was Vipersforsale or something like that, that I'd pay for a tank of fuel for him to get to a track and his track fees if he'd post up a time slip and vid. I called him out every which way and then some. Wouldn't ever buck up.

If you wanna wheel, get a beater. These trucks are too friggin expensive to beat the S*&% out of all the time. That's what I got my Samurai and ATV's for. Use the truck to get them there....break the toys....tow them home and ride another day.

If he thinks he needs a PW to go fishing or hunting, I would highly suggest saving the (did he say 50K) $17K less that I spent on my '06, QC, 4X, CTD and get a SET of ATV's and damn near all the hunting and fishing gear you could ever want.

Hell, for the cost of the truck and $7200 he could build it with ARB's front and rear, lift, 36" TSL, winch, 4.56 gears, Premier welder, bed mounted spare, REAL push bar. It's all a matter of it you wanna pay a premium to get not so premium parts.

Let'em talk smack.

Don't bother.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Ben D.
Champion

I think what they don't get is that hp is nothing more than torque factored into time. Any car can make high hp. How do they think the formula one racers make such high hp. by being able to run at 18k rpms nonstop is one of the main reasons. If your a smart buyer you would never buy into hp numbers. Torque is what its all about and that's why the cummins is one of the best. My main reason for telling him to go with the cummins was because he said he wouldn't be using it for a whole lot of offroad nothing extremem. Maybe some light trails and such. Plus he said about mpg which for the price he's paying might as well go diesel if you're worried about mpg.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:16 PM
KYSkipper

I don't know about a penalty of a Cummins v's a Hemi off road. I do know that a 3/4 ton truck with a diesel engine isn't the best off road vehicle in the world just simply due to it's weight and size. It'd be ok in a pasture or on a strip job where there's plenty of room, but in the woods, I'd rather have a Jeep. Short wheelbase, much tighter turning radius, skinnier to go through tight places and lighter. Park a diesel on a muddy place sometime and watch it sink just sitting there. Even the long wheelbases of a full size make it easier to high center off road than a short wheel based vehicle would. I end up putting mine in 4wd 2 or 3 times a week getting into and out of construction jobs, paticularly in the winter and spring when it's wet and nasty. I've never been so stuck I had to get yanked out, but have come close many times. With long wheelbases and wide turning radiuses, you have to pay attention and not get it in a tight spot where you have to jossle it to turn it around. Also, the heavier duty axles on 3/4 tons don't much care for being turned tight when the hubs are locked in, something you don't notice much in half tons or Jeeps.

Skipper

Old 01-12-2007, 11:23 PM
cumminalong

The other thing that you have to consider is that you can buy a whole lotta gas for the price of the $5600 upgrade to the CTD. Do I personnally think it's worth it? Absolutely! To me, the Hemi is a nothing but a race car motor. It's suited just fine to the Charger and the Magnum and such, but it's power is up in the RPM range.

Bottom line, when you start talking numbers and diesel vs. gas, it always gets ugly. That's why I say don't get worked up about it. The Hemi guys are a touchy group.......

I did a big long write up a while back of the costs associated with owning gas vs diesel. If you are working the numbers, you have to own a diesel truck for around 100K before you break even on the inital expense and maint. Most people don't keep them that long. If you do it makes sense to get a diesel, if not get a gasser. Unless you really need the power.

Honestly, off-road, I want a gas engine (or more preferably propane). For one, you can fix it real easy on the trail. And for two, getting a diesel stuck SUCKS! Once that front end is buried, it ain't coming up. It's also a lot harder on all the suspension parts to wheel a diesel. 400 lbs of static weight turns into a HUGEdynamic load once it's moving.

Also, look at the truck that guy is talking about. It's 2wd, RC, SB. It MIGHT weigh 5800 lbs, MAX. To me a half ton truck is nothing more than a car with a convertible trunk, you just get the groceries wet. Look underneath at the components. Frame, axle(s), powertrain, etc. Comparing a 1500 to a 2500 / 3500 is like comparing a Ranger to an F150. Not even the same league.

Just some things to keep in mind.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:36 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: cyclone429

My 2500 Ram 6sp 5.7 373 has all the torque in the world, A 6sp is less forgiving than a automatic, but in 4low is 1st or 2nd I can out pull a cummons hands down loaded or empty off road, out on the highway the 5.7 and 5.9 are dam close performance wise when empty, hell for the extra 7000 grand, the cummins should be twice the engine the hemi is ....
Okay, now this guy IS just a "little" confused.

Uhhh, 375 compared to 610. Close enough to twice for me. [:-] Yeah, yeah, I know it's only 235 more lb/ft. It's not like that is adding a 5.2L V8 on top or anything!

Old 01-13-2007, 01:48 AM
Ben D.
Champion

I don't think the hemi guys even relatively know how far up their head is up their ***. Even with the added weight of the diesel truck I believe with a person who knows how to launch a diesel any of them could ez take a hemi even a rcsb model.

and as for him well hes either really stupid or in a whole new dimension of denial

Quick Reply: Call to arms