Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

4x4 in n out

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:10 PM
rbmchief
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 in n out

Hey guys ive got a 2002 2500 4x4. We got about 16 inches of snow here the last 2 days so roads are pretty sloppy. Is it ok for me to br pulling my truck in n out of 4wdas im drivin thru town. u know stop at a light put it in 4wd take off and slip it out of 4wd. am i causing any problems or premature wear by doing this?

Old 01-13-2007, 05:19 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 4x4 in n out

If it's engaged/disengaged properly, you will have no problems. I follow 2 rules when shifting in/out.

1. Wheel straight. All 4 wheels cannot spin the same speed unless the truck is going straight.

2. I always let up on the gas, (completely if possible), so the transfer case can engage with as much ease as possible.As soon asthe 4wheel drive lamp illuminates, go back after the throttle. Don't ever try to engage the 4wheel with the pedal down and the rears spinning......LOL. Bad, bad things can happen. You make big bang like Chinese firework.......lol.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:28 PM
gtxpooch
All Star

On some years, don't you have to back up a length or two to make sure it comes out of 4wheel? On my 97 gasser if I didn't, it would start howling.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:41 PM
handymanherb
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the job site I in and out of 4x4 depending on where I have to go with the trailer, Like DD said come off the gas and wait for the light to change and then get back on the gas

Old 01-14-2007, 01:29 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Backing up on our trucks was simply to relieve the pressure on the shift collar down at the CAD.Not until that shift collar retracted does the 4x4 light go out.

You are correct though that on some trucks, backing up was necessary to unlock or "unscrew" the hubs. That type of auto hub lock was popular with the Fords.

In all reality, the Ram CAD is a weakdesign if you use a front locker.

Good luck with ALL our rides.