Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Programmer or Module?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:39 PM
solarwarp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmer or Module?

My head hurts! I don't understand what a module does versus what a programmer does.

From the reading I have done, a programmer claims to increase HP/Torque and efficiencywhile the module claims to increases efficiency and Torque/HP???

Can someone give me a basic rundown on what each does or the methodology used? Pros and cons of each would be helpful.

Thanks

Old 01-15-2007, 10:32 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Programmer or Module?

fuel boxes or ( modules ) typically deal with fueling and timing. They're boxes with some wiring to be installed. A programmer is one that connect to the computer port on your truck and either changes programming or reprograms the trucks computer.

You best bet is to use the search engine. You'll find tons of reading on the exact subject ;-)

Old 01-15-2007, 10:33 PM
cumminalong

Okay, here we go....

Programmers. These generally plug into the OBDII port (diagnostic port) under the dash. What it does is replaces the factory programming with a one or more different "tunes" or programs. These can range from just a few extra ponies to a whole heaping lot o' ponies.

Good - They require nothing under the hood and you can adjust many differnt parameters, including on some recalibrating for tires, clearing codes, running diagnostics.

Bad - Most of them leave some kind of foot print in the computer that can be visible to the dealer. It may be something small, but it could let them know you're messed with things.

Boxes - These generally go under the hood. A few simple connections and you're done. Some run a cable into the cab and can be controlled while you're running. You can up the power as needed or tone it down for economy. They do not replace the factory program, they just tweak the signals.

Good - Adjustable on the fly. When removed, most leave no footprint. Some do mess with boost and fuel tables, but these are usually not visible to a dealership. They can be "stacked" with programmers to make insane power on a well built truck.

Bad - You generally have to run a few wires, stick some velcro, or punch a hole in a rubber grommet into the cab. Nothing major, but could be detected if you're not careful.

All of them claim to do everything and then some. It depends on what you want.

If you want economy, you want to find a programmer or box that adjust timing / duration of the fuel delivery.

If you want power, you want the above, but also one that adjust pressure to keep up with higher power demands.

Confused yet?

Old 01-15-2007, 11:17 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

Oh yeah, I'm confused.

My dealer offersthe Edge EZ module.

It's all greek to me. Better performance would, of course, be fun... but mainly I would want increased fuel economy. Should I just forget about trying to figure anything else out and just go with them and not worry about whether there is a detechable footprint or whatever?

Thanks

Old 01-15-2007, 11:38 PM
triton
Record Breaker

performance and fuel economy usually don't go together well. These trucks have a ton of power stock.....16 to 18mpg's too. If you start messing with performance, that will most likely go down.

If the dealer is the one offering... I don't know that you'd have to worry about a footprint. It came from the dealer ???

Old 01-16-2007, 12:04 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: solarwarp

Oh yeah, I'm confused.

My dealer offersthe Edge EZ module.

It's all greek to me. Better performance would, of course, be fun... but mainly I would want increased fuel economy. Should I just forget about trying to figure anything else out and just go with them and not worry about whether there is a detechable footprint or whatever?

Thanks
I wouldn't necessarilly go with the Edge stuff. They tend to use a little more pressure and that's not healthy for your fuel rail. Check out the Quadzilla boxes first. I know they have a box that is specifically geared to economy settings.

Follow this -----> LINK

Old 01-16-2007, 01:38 AM
spfd308
Professional

I have the quadzilla 65 hp box and like it alot.If you want economy look to this place http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...wermodules.htmThe mileage miser was guaranteeing 3 mpg or money back when I first started looking around. Anyway just an option for you to check out.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:16 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

Just to close the loop, the dealer was offering the Edge EZ installed with a 3 position switch for $500.

My head was spinning trying to figure out all of the different advantages and disadvantages for all of the different programmers and modules.

I kept coming back to what the dealer was offering, since they would put it on.When Igot the truck it included 24 oil change/filter coupons for an additional $528. (I didn't want to have to remove or unprogram each time they sawmy truck.)

I am happy... and it kicks.

Quick Reply: Programmer or Module?