Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

EXAUST BRAKE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EXAUST BRAKE?

Does the brake have any negative effect on the engine ( wear and tear)

Old 01-25-2007, 08:57 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be fine with an exhaust brake. There is no engine brake (that I know of) for our model engines.

As far as wear.....All I could see is the actual brake itself having a part that may need replacing way down the road. Nothing is forever.....lol.

Imagine if we DID have engine brakes though? How sweet would that be?

Good luck with your ride.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:16 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

There is no wear and tear on your engine. It does not effect your mileage. It will save your brake pads and rotors especially if you tow alot. And if your trailer has brakes, it saves them too! I have one on my 01 and use it all the time. It is great when towing and when not towing. Once you get it, you'll wonder how you ever made it with out one!

All of the brakes they make for the CTD are exhaust brakes. They do not make a "Jake" brake for the CTD. The exhaust brake will make a louder sound out of the engine, but not like the big rigs with the jake brakes. Pac Brake and Cummins both have their own version and both are extremely good quality and about the same price.

The only suggestion I have is wire it into your brake lights! After almost getting rear ended 2 times on one trip I decided to wire the relay into the brake lights so they would come on when the exhaust brake comes on.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:20 AM
Watermelon
Captain

Can I install the brake myself or is it a pros job? Im not scared, I just have never seen it done.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:55 AM
i11m10c2
Veteran

i installed jake brake on mine from cummins fairly easy as long as you take your time and follow directions presiceley.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Drew
Professional

Just as Simon said, it is something you can do over the weekend with common hand tools. . .

HA, Simon said

Old 01-27-2007, 02:06 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Watermelon, I was considering one too, just can't fork over that much cash right now. I asked Piedmont Dodge how much they wanted to install, they said they don't do them, but Travelier across the street does. I never did inquire with Travelier because I couldn't find the brake cheap enough. You might give them a call and inquire about install cost.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:47 AM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

Guys, be careful using these engine brakes when empty especially on wet roads. That's a great way to break traction and spin out. As a rule I never use them on wet roads unless I'm loaded, and reasonably heavy at that. They are really designed for use on heavy loads going down steep downgrades. That's all I ever use the engine brake on my 18 wheeler for. Some dumb fools use them to speed shift and such but that's just asking for trouble (oh I shouldn't have mentioned that LOL). Empty and driving on wet roads?[sm=wootwoot.gif] Don't do it

Old 01-27-2007, 12:00 PM
HeavyD
Professional

07/CTD
Can you turn the exhaust brake off ? I never saw one so I was wondering that right before you posted.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:13 PM
gtxpooch
All Star

Guys, be careful using these engine brakes when empty especially on wet roads. That's a great way to break traction and spin out.
I'm confused, how does using the engine brake on a wet road cause a spin out?

Quick Reply: EXAUST BRAKE?