Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

ECM reflash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 11:48 AM
redhammer911
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM reflash?

Looking at getting a used 06 truck.....I know the pervious owner was using a SuperChips programmer; before he sold it back to the dealer. The dealer now is offering up a sweet deal for me to buy the truck. Should I ask the dealer to flash the ECM to stock for me to make sure that the SuperChips programmer didn't leave any traces on there that could affect me in the future? I'm probably going to use the smarty on it but I've heard that the SuperChips programmer leaves traces of use on the ECM and can cause problems w/ other programmers. Has anyone asked a dealer to do this before they bought a used truck (truck has only got 6400 miles on it)?

Old 01-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ECM reflash?

the only device that can set the ECM back to stock or OEM programming is the same superchips tuner the guy used. the OBDII computer they use to flash the ECM will notice the altered programming and kick it back and no flash will occur.

one more thing. I have heard of issues with smarty when another downloader has been used before smarty. you may not have any issues however I have heard of many problems when people have tried their smarty after useing a bully dog.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:05 PM
MrSlug
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ECM reflash?

I would walk away from that truck if the superchips programmer used to modify that trucks ECM is not part of the deal. You might want to call superchips and see how you can return it to the stock ECM, but they are prob going to tell you, you are SOL.

The last thing you want is to have to get a new ECM on your dime.

Quick Reply: ECM reflash?