Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

straght pipe or no? help asap

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007 | 02:18 PM
crazykidjj87
|
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default straght pipe or no? help asap

i need some opinions asap. if im gunna do it i need to go get it before NAPA closes. im just gunna buy a 4ft section, cut out the stock muffler, and weld in some 3.5 inch straight pipe

Old 01-27-2007 | 03:01 PM
crazykidjj87
|
Veteran
Default RE: straght pipe or no? help asap

how come the elimination on genos there are bends in the pipe?

can you just cut and weld in a piece of 3.5 inch straight pipe from an auto parts store? or will this not work because obviously the exhaust on either side of the muffler arent on the same plane.???

help quick...gotta get to the store before they closeee

Old 01-27-2007 | 04:06 PM
Nelspruitdodger
Professional
Default RE: straght pipe or no? help asap

You can use a straight section, but your exhaust tip will be closer to the body.

I was going to use a straight through muffler, and realized this may be a problem, but was told by the guys at the muffler shop this would not be a problem.
You will enjoy the results. - If you are going to buy a section on the net, check out RPM, they are much cheaper than Geno's for this mod.

Old 01-28-2007 | 08:43 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: straight pipe or no? help asap

I took my muffler off and replaced it with a 4" pipe I got from the muffler shop. It was h@ll to get the muffler off. I had to cut it off after fighting with it for a hour. I just butted them up and mig welded it in place. You have to adjust the tip at the back a little bit.(Get you a muffler strap)I dropped my tip down a few inch's to keep the smoke off the rear panel and to get it away from my mud flap. It sounds great but off coarse my MPG went down about 3/4 to 1 MPG. I spoke with man that did the same and went back and made a baffle plate to add a little restriction to gain his MPG back. He said it works good and sounds the same and has his MPG back. I'm going to make me one and put it in. He just cut a piece of 1/8" plate and cut the center out to around 3 3/8"ID adding a little restriction then put it inside the delete pipe. I'm going to try a few differnt sizes tell I get the best one for MPG since I have all the stuff I need to do it in my shop.....

Old 01-28-2007 | 03:15 PM
jagj52
Rookie

HT... how did you do the baffle????? I am running straight pipe from where the cat WAS all the way back to the tip and would love to get that extra MPG back.

Old 01-28-2007 | 04:46 PM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left the baffle on. All I did was cut the muffler and added in a pipe. I may be wrong but I think the "Baffle" is a straight threw design. I know the ones I have pulled off before were. If so their should be not restriction their to mess with. If you wont your MPG back you are going to have to add more back PSI. As I was saying above I plan to cut a plate and cut the inside of the plate out to about 3 3/8" and weld it inside my delete pipe to add back PSI and keep the sound.

Old 01-30-2007 | 12:26 PM
crazykidjj87
|
Veteran

nel....do you have the link to RPM? i cant seem to find it. thanks

Old 02-02-2007 | 06:54 PM
crazykidjj87
|
Veteran

well...just straight piped it....wrestled with the muffler for a while to try and save it...then said eff it and cut it off...no muffler shop around here has the capability to bend 3.5 inch pipe...so im glad i didnt have a whole custom exhaust made...but neways once it was apart i fired it up oh boy was it loud...then i proceded to slap a 3.5inch straight pipe in and fired it up....it sounds weird...but i think ill deffinately grow to like it...is there any other way to gain my mpg's back, cuz i know im gunna lose them. but i think either way ill be happy with it and maybe eventually down the road get an aero...but for now im happy

Quick Reply: straght pipe or no? help asap