Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2 more questions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:23 PM
danthetigerfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 more questions?

I put a K&N air filter on order. now im wondering if it is worth installing. and will it void my warranty.The filter done wonders in my old chevy 6.5. Question #2 why does it take soooo long for my cab to warm up. I usually let the truck idle for approx 10 min in the morning and I have to drive approx 8 miles before the heater begins to blow warm air. ( I live in Louisiana so 42 degrees is freezing to me lol....I would hate to get in this truck in the morning if I lived up north.)

Old 01-31-2007, 09:35 PM
bekim
Professional
Default RE: 2 more questions?

Some feel the K$N does not filter as efficiently as some filters. I dispute this. My oil analysis with a K$N drop in had silicates numbers as low as with the stock filter, a BHAF, or the AEM Dryflow filter I use now. 3 or 4 ppm is extremely low for silicates as far as engine oil analysis goes.
The second concern is that if the filter is over oiled that the IAT sensor, or even the turbo veins, could be coated by the extra oil.
Some have even said that using the filter can void your warranty.........which is BULL!
The warranty looks at what your making a claim for, and whether the modification done had any effect on the damage done.
IMHO, using a K$N filter, properly cleaned and oiled, will work just fine!
Cheers
Mike
###

Old 02-01-2007, 02:22 AM
Mayfair
Legend

I've got a K&N on my Ram and I'm happy with it. I remember someone here posting a statement directly from K&N regarding the warranty isse that was awesome, but I didn't save it. Hopefully someone else did.

As far as the heat issue, I really don't know why these trucks don't seem to warm up, but they don't, so startingit even 1/2 hour before leaving won't do anything except waste fuel.

Sorry ....

Old 02-01-2007, 03:20 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been running K&N for years. Everything from ATV's to Drag racing. They set the standard years ago. This is the info Mayfair was talking about. I have all kinds of info on K&N from micro size filtering to what ever. If you need it I will help you out.
Dear K&N Consumer:

K&N Engineering, Inc., is informed that some automobile dealers and manufacturers are telling their customers that the factory warranty on their motor vehicles is “void,†if an original equipment (OE) replacement air filter, manufactured by K&N, has been installed on their vehicles. K&N finds such instances disturbing, and while it does not purport to give legal advice, K&N would like to refer you to the federal Consumer Product Warranties law, often referred to as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which states, in part, in Title 15, United States Code, Section 2302, subdivision (c), as follows:
[align=center]

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the [Federal Trade] Commission if –

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.â€
[/align]
Under this federal statute, a manufacturer, who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle, is prohibited from requiring you to use a particular brand of air filter, oil filter, or other service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer. K&N is unaware of any exemption or waiver granted by the FTC to any motor vehicle manufacturer, which pertains to air filters or oil filters.

K&N interprets this law to also prohibit the motor vehicle manufacturer from restricting your use of a particular brand of air filter, oil filter, etc. K&N’s interpretation of this law is consistent with the interpretation given it by the FTC, the government agency responsible for the interpretation and enforcement of this federal law.

The rules and regulations adopted by the FTC, to govern the interpretation and enforcement of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 16 - Commercial Practices, Chapter I - Federal Trade Commission, Subchapter G - Rules, Regulations, Statements and Interpretations Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Part 700 - Interpretations Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Contained within these rules and regulations is Section 700.10, which states, in relevant part (with specific language highlighted by K&N), as follows:
[align=center]

“(c) No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.â€[/align]
We think this FTC rule is pretty clear and unambiguous. Please note that the FTC requires the “warrantor†(this would, generally, be your motor vehicle manufacturer) to “demonstrate†that the defect in or damage to your vehicle was caused by your installation or use of a K&N air or oil filter, or other “unauthorized†part, before a warranty claim can be denied. We contend that this requires credible proof as to the cause of a failure and not merely your dealer’s guess, speculation or unfounded opinion as to the cause.

Therefore, K&N considers any threat to void your factory warranty, or the actual voiding of your factory warranty, solely for the installation of a K&N replacement air filter or oil filter, to be a violation of federal law.

The foregoing addresses only your rights and protection under federal law. Of course, you may have greater rights under the consumer warranty laws applicable in your state.

If you have encountered a motor vehicle dealer, who has failed and refused to “demonstrate†or prove, as federal law requires, that your K&N air filter necessitated a repair for which warranty coverage has been denied, or a manufacturer, who refuses to perform warranty repairs on your vehicle, merely because you have installed a K&N replacement air filter or based on inaccurate information from your dealer, then we ask that you request that the dealer or manufacturer set forth, in writing, the warranty denial, together with a written statement as to the specific reasons for the denial of warranty repairs, and that you send a copy of this written statement to K&N. We also ask that you direct your dealer and manufacturer to the federal law quoted above. K&N assists consumers in this situation through the K&N Consumer Protection Pledge. For details please go to the K&N website at KNFilters.com or contact our customer service department at 800-858-3333.

Please keep in mind that a motor vehicle dealer is, generally, not the “warrantor†of your vehicle. Your dealer may be assisting you as much as possible in getting the manufacturer to cover repairs of your vehicle under warranty, but the factory may still refuse to cover the repairs. If this happens, then there may be nothing further that the dealership can do, and it should not be blamed for the actions of your vehicle’s warrantor. A dealership’s control over the approval of a warranty repair is usually limited to properly diagnosing and reporting the cause of the repair. K&N only takes issue with those dealerships who advise consumers that the mere installation of a K&N air filter on a vehicle “voids†the factory warranty, or they convey to the manufacturer an unsubstantiated opinion or conclusion that a K&N air filter caused an engine or component failure, without any objective proof to support such a statement, which results in the denial of a legitimate warranty repair.
[align=right]

Sincerely,

STEVE ROGERS,
President & CEO
K&N Engineering, Inc.
[/align]

Old 02-01-2007, 04:17 AM
moconst
Veteran

So no warranty coverage I take it?

Old 02-01-2007, 04:19 AM
i11m10c2
Veteran

I used k&n for years untill i dusted a turbo realy good, i think the new ones arnt made to the same quality standards, i dont know if they farmed the manufacturing out to china or something. im using stock right now but on the hunt for a new filter maybeeAEM or S&b

Old 02-01-2007, 04:51 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question was will it VOID my warranty. As far as K&N's warranty is as follows.

K&N Million Mile Limited Warranty®
THE WARRANTY:
All K&N OE replacement Air Filters - as specified below - are warranted against defective materials or workmanship for one million miles.

WHAT IS WARRANTED:
Any K&N air filter listed in our catalog or on our web site as an OE replacement air filter with a cross reference to a specific vehicle or motorcycle; except for those air filters sold for use on ATV’s and motorcycles designed for dual purpose and/or off-road use.

PROOF OF PURCHASE REQUIRED:
Our warranty covers the original purchaser of a K&N Air Filter who has provided proper proof of the original retail purchase.

WHAT IS NOT WARRANTED:
Any K&N Air Filter used for 1- any type of racing or competition; 2 - any off-road use, custom or modified applications; 3 - any illegal highway use, marine, or industrial applications. (These units are covered by a one year unlimited mileage warranty.)

WHAT VOIDS THE WARRANTY:
Incorrect Service: The K&N Air Filter must be cleaned and serviced with K&N cleaner and air filter oil (or comparable cleaner and oil) per the prescribed routine maintenance procedure as outlined in the product literature that accompanies the K&N Air Filter. Use of any cleaner or oil that damages the filter or compromises its performance (gasoline, transmission fluid, motor oil, lightweight oil, or diesel fuel) will void the warranty.
No Proof of Purchase: At time of warranty claim, buyer must provide proof of purchase (original receipt or invoice).
Incorrect Use: Any damaged, abused or modified K&N Air Filter will not be warranted.

EXTENT OF WARRANTY:
Any defective K&N Air Filter properly returned to K&N will be replaced. K&N will not be responsible for any other expenses incurred by the customer under the terms of this warranty, nor shall it be responsible for any damages either consequential, special, contingent, or otherwise; or expenses or injury arising directly or indirectly from the use of the K&N Air Filter. Any K&N Air Filter returned to K&N must be sent at customers' expense along with proof of purchase. K&N reserves the right to determine whether the terms of the warranty, set out above, have been properly complied with. In the event that the terms are not complied with, K&N shall be under no obligation to honor this warranty.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Nice job Griff !!

I knew someone would have it.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:25 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Quote: using a K$N filter, properly cleaned and oiled, will work just fine!

Those are the KEY words "properly cleaned and oiled"! You would be surprised how many people don't keep them cleaned and oiled Properly like they should. Also like K&N said "any off-road use" no warranty so if you do go off road then you are **** Out of Luck. Also if you live or travel on a long very dusty gravel road you may have problems. One more reason to use a good quality paper filter.

IMHO.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:26 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

The reason the KN and warrenty keeps coming up is there were threads going around about a person who over oiled their KN filter. The oil somehow fouled up the MAPP sensor and some engine damage was the end result. Anyone please correct me if I am mis-stating.

Hence the reason many aftermarket air intakes are now going to a paper filters, vs an oil ones. I believe TDR did a comparsion of filters a while back and found the KN to have good air flow, but it also was not as good as trapping contaminents. Kind of hard to have the best of both worlds.

I don't see anything wrong with using a KN, as long as you don't go spastic with the filter oil.

Quick Reply: 2 more questions?