Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Diesel for non-heavy duty use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 05:18 PM
handymanherb
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Diesel for non-heavy duty use?

I noticed an increse in my MPG, when I started towing with mine, when I bought the truck it had 26000 miles on it and the first four days I was just driving it around with no load on it and I was not happy with the MPG I was getting and it was shifting hard.

I think that may have been why it was back on the lot to quick, but after Ipulled my trailer four days in a row, loaded heavy my MPG got much better, from 13 mpg with the trailer to 16 mpg and the tranny is now as smooth as a baby 's butt.

So you got to load it down once and a while

Old 02-04-2007, 09:40 PM
donnie
Professional

I got mine in 05 and wondered what took me so long to get on the drakside.
Get it and dont look back. I dont feel that you will regret it at all.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:42 AM
Nicky B
Captain

I was told by a deisel owner when I first buy my truck to put 2 decent size tires in the back like 35' size tires for those very reasons. I might also add a 3rd tire to help break the engine in alittle quicker. Is this a good idea.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:44 AM
Cummin out smoke

cumminsdiesels are made to work. why in the hell would you pay the extra $5,555.00 add on of the cummins when a half ton would be more then needed especally if you pull 12 times a year? My truck is pulled 6 days a week witha minimum of 12 k pounds. Dont waste the engine pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Methos
Veteran

ORIGINAL: usafr

The most that mine hauls is me and my duaghter (shes only 8mts old and shes claimed the back seat ). I wouldn't trade it for anything, I love this truck.
usafr, don't discount the half ton worth of stuff you have to haul around with you for your daughter either! You just might be pulling more weight than you think!

Old 02-05-2007, 03:37 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

I commute in my 06 CTD. I also use it to tow my boat, do dump runs, carry lumber for the numerous projects around the house (building a 3000sq ft deck now). If you can spare the extra money then sure. The Cummins motor is simple, and well engineered. Alsu, you can run BioDiesel if you like to hug trees.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:45 AM
ride everything

Ok, test drove a 2006 CTD, 4X4 yesterday. Holy Sh*& is that truck bitchen! I don't care if I only tow milk back from the grocery store, I'm gettin' one of these things. I'm going to get it, drive it forever, get an even bigger toy hauler, and drive the hell out it. Man, I was soooo impressed. 1000 times more fun to drive than my F-150...and I like my F-150. You guys are so right when you say get it and don't look back, so sweet! Now I just have to wheel and deal baby!!

SOLD!

Old 02-10-2007, 04:03 AM
old_mecp_guy

I own an '04 2500 Sport QC 60k and i gladly get 16-18mpg around town . . . when i hit the freeway if i do consistant driving i can get 21-23 . . . the highest that i have ever gottenn on a 3 hour road trip with nothing in the truck i got 25, and after owning a '02 5.9 gas and only getting 10-12mpg the diesel is great. Noise is very liveable it is really not that loud especially compared to the older cummins and Ford or Chev. Those were huge selling points for me. Smell in the winter it is a little more noticeable but not bad at all.I will NEVER go back to gas in a full size truck. Also this is a stock truck i have done more than put a K&N filter in it. Oh yeah and acceleration is great, i thought i would miss that about the gas, not at all. Hope that helps.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:46 AM
ride everything

Yes it does, thanks again to all.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:55 AM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ride everything

Ok, test drove a 2006 CTD, 4X4 yesterday. Holy Sh*& is that truck bitchen! I don't care if I only tow milk back from the grocery store, I'm gettin' one of these things. I'm going to get it, drive it forever, get an even bigger toy hauler, and drive the hell out it. Man, I was soooo impressed. 1000 times more fun to drive than my F-150...and I like my F-150. You guys are so right when you say get it and don't look back, so sweet! Now I just have to wheel and deal baby!!

SOLD!
Ha!! I got rid of an F150 that I enjoyed too but it's criminal to mention that truck in the same sentence as.... Don't worry if it's not loaded. Drive it like you stole it and have fun

Quick Reply: Diesel for non-heavy duty use?