Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:59 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbos?

would it matter wat turbo i fit in the truck? jus a thought. i know the heat they produce is huge compared to gas cars. but im curiuos if anyone has done or known of anyone doing so.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:48 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: turbos?

Turbos don't produce heat other than the air they compress. The major heat source is from the engine's exhaust gases. You would want to research a little on turbos to see all the possibilities . If you want to add a bigger turbo for instance, you'd want to make sure that you are addressing the fuel and exhaust end of things. Wastegates are another consideration. Some people just use blow-off valves instead, etc. A lot of choices out there.

Bigger is not always better...lol.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:40 AM
htgriffith
Veteran

A small turbocharger - Itwill provide boost more quickly and at lower engine speeds, but may not be able to provide much boost at higher engine speeds when a really large volume of air is going into the engine. It is also in danger of spinning too quickly at higher engine speeds, when lots of exhaust is passing through the turbine. A large turbocharger - Itcan provide lots of boost at high engine speeds, but may have bad turbo lag because of how long it takes to accelerate its heavier turbine and compressor.
When air is compressed, it heats up and when air heats up, it expands. So some of the pressure increase from a turbocharger is the result of heating the air as DieselDemon said before it goes into the engine. In order to increase the power of the engine, the goal is to get more air molecules into the cylinder, not necessarily more air pressure.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:20 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional

well i know all that...but im wonder if it would matter if i put like an hks turbo or a greedy one or a garette? ivnoticed that diesels have their own set of turbos. cant name themcus im not familiar withany of them.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:18 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

My 95' Ram originallycam with a Holset HX35 turbocharger. I believe that most, if not all the Rams still use Holset.

I may be wrong.

What is your major plan that has you turbo curious?...lol

Old 02-05-2007, 01:32 AM
jakebrake
Champion

What turbos are you thinking of. What manufacter and model? What a/r ratio are you looking at.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:44 AM
cookie_monstr
Professional

well i havnt really looked into wat ratio or anything...but i want to push about 500hp or more but thats in the future. im just wondering if u could fit any turbo on the truck and not have it melt other than the obious of to small equals a melting turbo. im really looking at hks.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:49 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

My 2006 has a Holset as well. As for replacing the Turbo, it might help us a bit to know:

1) What year is your CTD?
2) What mods have you done already?
3) What are your power expectations?
4) What kind of Tranny do you have?

The above will help us give you some better info.

As for Turbos, I have read good things about the SuperBs for Diesel. The Turbos you mention are typically made for Gasengines. Remember our CTD turbos will push a lot more air than a turbo made for a stock gasser. For instance I see boost pressures in excess of 35 pounds at times. A WRX is luck to push 1 bar with the stock turbo.

Quick Reply: turbos?