Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

diesel woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:18 AM
killerriceball
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesel woes

Alrighty, i also have a 99 dogdge CTD that i purchased last january. Since then i have added a filter, tuner, gauges, stage 2 clutch and changed the fluids religously. I have a couple things that i am questioning. First, is the oil that drips from the crankcase tube on the front of the engine. I have heard that you can put a soda bottle under the tube to catch the oil because it is all over theunderside of my truck. Is there any other way to stop or prevent the dripping oil? Second is a miss i recently heard. I came off the highway from a 15 minute drive and stopped at the light and it sounded as if one or two of the cylinders were missing! Is this common or do i need to have this looked into further. Finally, how long should the turbo last? The truck has 171000 on it and i wanted to know if i should take it to a shop to have everything looked over?

Old 02-08-2007, 02:20 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: diesel woes

When was the last time you adjusted your valve lash?

Good luck with your ride.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:47 PM
killerriceball

i have never adjusted the valve lash, what does that process entail, or should i take it to a shop?

Old 02-10-2007, 01:02 AM
jakebrake
Champion

You'll have to pull the valve cover, with no. 1 tdcc adjust valves 1,2,3,6,7,10 then turn over to no. 6 tdcc and adjust valve 4,5,8,9,11,12 lash specs are on your engine data plate. If the overhead hasn't ever been done, there is a good chance it will need valves and rockers. For the turbo, pull the intake off the turbo inlet and wiggle the shaft side to side. The general guideline is if the compressor wheel touches the housing, the turbo should be replaced. As for the breather tube drip you have two options. 1 is deal with it or put a catch bottle on. 2 is to feed it back into the inlet of the turbo which is what the engine manufactures are starting to do. the only problem is that this dirty's up the intake.

Quick Reply: diesel woes