Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

07 ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Emullen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 ticking noise

New to CTD world. Just bought my first dodge, 07 quad CTD. I just switched to the brew at 5000 miles. Have 6900 now after 2 months. After she is warm this bastard runs like gold. However, with the temps in the teens every night. After I start her , for about 20 min I hear an anoying tick in the engine. It seems to turn in to a nice lubricated lobe after like I said 20-30 min. However, it sounds like a gas engine without oil in the meantime. I took it to the dealer and they noticed it put said all sounded normal. I really do not trust these dealers.
Is there anyone hear with an 07 that experiencs this noise while cold??? Am I being overly sensitive to the normal sounds of a diesel?? Thanks guys for the input

Old 02-13-2007, 04:31 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: 07 ticking noise

ORIGINAL: Emullen

New to CTD world. Just bought my first dodge, 07 quad CTD. I just switched to the brew at 5000 miles. Have 6900 now after 2 months. After she is warm this bastard runs like gold. However, with the temps in the teens every night. After I start her , for about 20 min I hear an anoying tick in the engine. It seems to turn in to a nice lubricated lobe after like I said 20-30 min. However, it sounds like a gas engine without oil in the meantime. I took it to the dealer and they noticed it put said all sounded normal. I really do not trust these dealers.
Is there anyone hear with an 07 that experiencs this noise while cold??? Am I being overly sensitive to the normal sounds of a diesel?? Thanks guys for the input
This may not be your exact problem but, the ticking you here is the air being purged from the fuel line. It's automatically done on the newer trucks. 20 mins sounds like a long time for it to be going though. It's possible you have a small leak in the fuel line that's sucking air into the system.

If that's not the problem... you may just need to get use to the way a CTD sounds.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Emullen

After som ein depth reading I really think that this could be carbon buildup. Could I be seeing this on my 07 with 6900 miles?? Seems to new to see carbon. I did take out today and beat the crap out it and it did get better. But I am not sure if it was due to the temp getting up to normal or me burning away the carbon. Any thoughts on this????

Old 02-15-2007, 02:28 AM
73Jim
Veteran

My 07 just started doing that same thing (2800 miles). More noticeable at a drive through or next to a K rail in stop/go traffic. I just installed a triple gauge pod and thought maybe the boost bolt is leaking a tad.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Emullen

Yes, mine is most noticable at a dead idle.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:23 PM
redhammer911

Have you guys tried running some 2 stroke oil in the fuel?

Old 02-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Emullen

No, Should I be running 2 stroke oil in the fuel with an 07 with 6900 miles. Do you think this is normal???

I went out today and bought a 32oz bottle of PSD (grey bottle). I dumped the entire bottle in a full tank of fuel. I took her out on the highway and ran at 105mph for 10 min. Well she sounds great now. No more tick. I am really thinking that this a carbon buildup issue with the injectors. I am by no means a diesel mechanic. Is there anyone on this site that can attest to the issue of carbon buildup. Is this normal for a new vehicle?? Is there a preventive measure I can take so that this does not happen? Is it dangerous to the motor?? Thanks all for your help in understanding this.

PS. Just put a brand Leer 100XQ cap on my 07 Quad shortbed. Look unbelievable. I got the Thules Aero racks factory installed. I will send PICs
Ed

Quick Reply: 07 ticking noise