Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

So long Ford....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 05:27 PM
scotty82
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So long Ford....

Well I stopped off at the Ford house last week to trade in the old 99 PSD.....
I guess I am just not good enough for a ford any more....At least that is the way I was treated.
It was kind of apperant why Ford is in trouble
So I stopped in Huffines Dodge in Lewisville Texas.....Awsome group of guys....I drove out with an 06 Mega cab....
What a diffeance....So far I love it.

Coming from the PSD world into the Cummins world.......What can I expect,
Wher can I find the stuff on the little things to look for.Fuel filters..Oil...PM type stuff.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:42 PM
cumminalong
Default RE: So long Ford....

Welcome to DF brother!

There's a few of us Ford converts running around in here.

You'll find plenty of the PM stuff you are looking for in here. Many of us use Geno's Garage for filters and such. www.genosgarage.com He's got great prices on most stuff. Other than that, the usual Wally World items are always the norm.

Bottom line, the CTD is 100% simpler, easier and cheaper to maintain than the Fords are.

- Fuel filters only runs about $14 at Geno's (compared to $59 for a Ford 6.0 at Geno's)
- Oil...it's pretty much your choice. Stay away from synthetics for the first 10 - 20K. Many of us are running Rotella T, Delo 400, Penzoil Premium Blue for the dino brands and Amsoil and RP for the synthetics. Good results by all.
- Fleetguard filters for you oil or I've been happy with the NAPA gold filter ($9).
- Other than that, it's just all the normal maintenace or every other vehicle. Nothing overly special, except make sure you lube the front d-shaft at each oil change.

Enjoy the MC man. Welcome!

Old 02-14-2007, 07:37 PM
loveshackhauler

Having also come over from the "ford side", I can relate. We had a PSD in our '92 and a V-10 in our '01, both bought used. Then I ran across a deal on a ram 2500 with the CTD. WOW is all I can say without getting all choked up. I'm still impressed that a 4 year old truck with 85,000 miles on it has a real tight feel and great power, not to mention the mileage increase.

I'll definitely be checking out the genosgarage site for parts.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:59 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

Welcome!

So how do you like your new 325/610 CTD motor? I have a friend with a 03 6.0 PSD and it seems lathargic compared to the CTD.

Cumminalong gave youa great place to shop for CTD maintence stuff....Geno's is hard to beat.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Ben D.
Champion

with all ford's financial issues i dunno if it will be a "house" for much longer. Perhaps a shack or a cardboard refrigerator box with a blue oval on it drawn with a crayon. lol

Old 02-14-2007, 08:22 PM
scotty82
Amateur

I have had the Ford guy call me 3 time sinse yesterday sayin he is trying as hard as he can to get me in the last 06 there is.He is no where close.
I recon I should tell him he is wasting his time...............no..not yet.
My daughter got in the back seat of this Mega Cab and got lost.......
Has anybody hooked up a satellite radio ....I had a cassett adaptor in the old truck.But there is no cassett in this one.....
Anyhow..glad to be here and thanks for the welcome

Old 02-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Not sure but I do agree with you about the ford dealers. Last year I got in a car accident. I had an old 93 f150 xlt rcsb 4x4 300 I6 5 speed. ( I loved that truck this was back when ford new how to make em). My dad had bought it new in 93 then gave it to me and he bought a jeep wrangler. well my dumbass self wrecked the ford so he gave me the jeep and went to look for a truck. He wanted a new truck anyway so wasn't a huge loss for him for me It coulda been the end of the world. but the ford dealer didnt' want to let us look at trucks until they did credit checks. so my dad got mad and we left went to dodge. The salesman was kinda of a country boy that was big into pickups but he was a great guy and him and my dad got along. they had on the lot a 1500 rcsb sport in black. Hot dang is that a fine lookin truck. So my dad bought that and he hasn't looked back. It hasn't been back to the shop yet and gotta say has great power. Can't wati for my CTD lol.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:34 PM
cumminalong

Yeah, I gave them a last chance when I got rid of my last truck, but they didn't want to play. I was looking for another V10, but all they had was the Powerchokes and they didn't want to budge on the price. They think that POS PSD is like friggin gold. Sooo, I said my goodbyes and bought a CTD.

So yeah, string 'em along a bit.....maybe "test" drive a few trucks.....nit pick little things....then when you're done playing show up in the MC and just tell him, "Yeah, I think I like that one. Thanks!"

Can't help ya on the satellite radio, mine came with it.

That MC is enormous ain't it. You can fold the seats down, thow the kids back there with a few toys and let 'em go buck wild (uhhh, yeah, stopped of course[:-])

Post some pics!

Enjoy!

Old 02-14-2007, 09:19 PM
scotty82
Amateur

I tried the old " reach in the back seat swingin " deal....last night when I was drivin... Ya know., the one that Dad used topull on you when you where in the back seat "lolygagin" when you where a kid. I didn't even come close. I need a 3 foot stick so I can reach out and touch em...

Old 02-14-2007, 09:26 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: scotty82
I need a 3 foot stick so I can reach out and touch em...
Ya say that like there's something wrong with it....

Quick Reply: So long Ford....