Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Rear Locker on an '05??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:09 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Rear Locker on an '05??

well, found out thru testing that my rear end is a locker of some sorts... in 4x4 lo or hi, turning hard in both directions, the rear grabs with both tires... showing me that it is no longer an open diff... not sure how it works but I checked out the manual and there are solenoids that engage the system... and it's only active in 4x4...

can anyone add to this?

Old 02-20-2007, 12:14 AM
cumminalong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear Locker on an '05??

That's odd....

These things don't have full on lockers, but the LS unit is very good. It's as close to a locker as you'll get in an LS.

We don't have traction control either, so it's not like the ABS is doing it; that's how those work.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:38 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

when I read the manual, it looks more like a posi setup with a gear & brake setup in the posi unit. I didnt see where the solenoids came into play...

Old 02-20-2007, 03:12 AM
sharx ram
Champion

Thats wild, I have a full on locker in mine, no traction issue for me [8D] Now I need to decide whether to go with an air locker in the front or full on locker...Iam leaning towards the air.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:23 AM
Ben D.
Champion

I would go full on because there isn't any torque going to the front diff when you're in 2wd right? pretty sure on that but I know on some vehicles specially older jeep cj's it wasn't. then you don't have to worry about the front locking because most lockers only lock when they have torque applied therefore you woudln't have to worry about manners on the road in 2wd

Old 02-20-2007, 08:01 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

when I read the manual, it looks more like a posi setup with a gear & brake setup in the posi unit. I didnt see where the solenoids came into play...
Actually, it's built like a Detroit TrueTrac. It's all helical gears (no clutches) and will always provide power the wheels, just not 100% like a full locker. There willbe some speed differnce between the two tires, but they will always turn.

Here is what it looks like.
[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/12585C67C03242A6A196C91AEF6AB29B.jpg[/IMG]

ORIGINAL: sharx ram

Thats wild, I have a full on locker in mine, no traction issue for me [8D] Now I need to decide whether to go with an air locker in the front or full on locker...Iam leaning towards the air.
You DO NOT want a full on locker up front with these trucks. That front axle is always turning and even without a torque load, it still catches and ratchets, just like they do in the rear going around a turn. Besides, try wheeling with a truck that always has the front locked, it's a BASTARD to steer. My SD went in one direction with the locker turned on,STRAIGHT AHEAD,unless it was a real slick surface

I had ARB's front and rear on my last truck and, believe me, that was the SINGLE BEST MOD I did to that thing.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:08 AM
sabersix

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

I had ARB's front and rear on my last truck and, believe me, that was the SINGLE BEST MOD I did to that thing.
Agree. I have ARB in the front and rear of my Jeep. Locked diffs are great when you need them, but it sure is nice to be able to turn them off when you don't. I have had the ARBs for about 8 years with zero problems.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:22 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: sabersix

Agree. I have ARB in the front and rear of my Jeep. Locked diffs are great when you need them, but it sure is nice to be able to turn them off when you don't. I have had the ARBs for about 8 years with zero problems.
Oh absolutely. I know he doesn't live where it snows or anything, but the VERY LAST thing you want in icy / snowy conditions is a locked front axle. You get plenty of forward / reverse traction, but you are sideways the whole time.

Having a locked front axle puts a ton of stress on your steering components in higher traction situations. You want that ability to unlock and maneuver the truck.

The best thing up front on a DD truck is selectable lockers, front or rear. You get the tire wear of an open diff on the road and the traction of a full on locker off road.

Get selectables, you won't be sorry.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:03 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

[/quote] Actually, it's built like a Detroit TrueTrac. It's all helical gears (no clutches) and will always provide power the wheels, just not 100% like a full locker. There willbe some speed differnce between the two tires, but they will always turn.

Here is what it looks like.
[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/12585C67C03242A6A196C91AEF6AB29B.jpg[/IMG]

It does look very similar to that picture, not exactly though. Dodge calls it a Trac-Rite differential.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:13 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: brandoncrone
It does look very similar to that picture, not exactly though. Dodge calls it a Trac-Rite differential.
Right, I couldn't find a pic of exactly what it looks like. I'm on my work computer so I had to use what I could find. It demonstrates the point though.

It is 100% better than the damn clutch type LSD's. The one in my SD flat out sucked! You have to mess with the friction modifier quantity to get it to hook up decent and then as the fluids breakdown, the LS starts slipping too much, clutch packs wear, and you have an open diff.

These LSD's are a much better setup for a daily driver truck.

Quick Reply: Rear Locker on an '05??