Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

For those with mods, and who know how to work a truck...lol.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:49 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those with mods, and who know how to work a truck...lol.

I am quite confident when I say there are those among us who can drive by ear, alone.

I too am one of the freaks....lol. Not being a loser but, I can feather my pedal with a touch so soft, you hear the turbo speed up, but there was no noticable increase in engine RPMs.

Women find it annoying, so the stereo must be turned on. I can listen to it then entire time I am driving. I rarely use cruise. I run my truck on the highway like a locomotive in notch 5 or 6....lol.

Ok, so the last few days we have had 0, and below zero days in my area. I was curious as to how low I could keep the egt while doing an even 70 mph. At the moment, (and you will all laugh), I am running 215/85/16 tires. My Ram looks like it has mountain bike tires on it.

I don't need to tell you the capabilities with a locker, and pizza cutter tires....LOL. The truck cuts thru 18" of snow like I cut thrufarts. Fast, with flakes flyin everywhere....LOL.

I get on the highway wed nite about 1:30 am. Constant 70 mph, my egts stayed at the 690 degree mark, excpet for about 50 more on slight, slight inclines. My boost was 4-5 lbs. My tranny never saw 115 degrees after lockup.

She's runnin pretty good. And I have been getting almost 30 mpg.

Here's where we differ on figuring milage. I fill my tank right to the same spot every time so I know that part is accurate. After that, I just compare milage on the counter to how much gas I had to add to fill back up. If I drive the truck efficiently, I can do about 17-19 around town. On the highway, she's just kickin' a**....lol

Ifdrive to paint you black, or get your attention, mileage is not even a consideration.

I fill up, and am on the highway doing 70 in less than 1.5 miles from the station.

Anyway, was just in the mood to chit chat.

And if you care about the top end of the EGTs, I can make 1600 degrees plus if I want to. I do it once a month maybe for about 5-10 seconds. At that temp, you are reading exhaust gas only, of course. The engine cannot heat up that quickly. I watch the water temp rise a little faster too. It's fun....lol.

Ok my friends......sleep is beckoning.

Good luck with ALL our rides.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:42 AM
usafr
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: For those with mods, and who know how to work a truck...lol.

It hasnt gotten that cold here in Louisiana, only down to the 30's. I'm with ya on the mileage. If I'm nice to it, I can get 18mpg at 75-80mph. But usually, I'm not very nice to it,,, the overhead will read about 13, so that should tell u something.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:59 PM
Drew
Professional

TST at 8/5 ( that about the 450hp 850tq setting) and been driveing it like that for a full tank. . .I normaly average from the low 17's to the mid 19's. . .my last tank at this setting was 17.8mpg

Old 02-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Drew

TST at 8/5 ( that about the 450hp 850tq setting) and been driveing it like that for a full tank. . .I normaly average from the low 17's to the mid 19's. . .my last tank at this setting was 17.8mpg
Will that setting hurt the engine in the long run. I want to mod mine up but Im worried that I will kill the cummins long life. What do you think?

Old 02-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Drew
Professional

if I leave it there it may if I dont have the proper supporting hardware such as a turbo or a better lift pump.

I did start out at 8/8, however I had an annoying timeing rattle when the engine was cold that I didnt like, turned the torque to 5 and it went away

Quick Reply: For those with mods, and who know how to work a truck...lol.