Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

lookin to buy a cummins, info needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:36 PM
turbo2oh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lookin to buy a cummins, info needed

i used to have a 98 cummins that i used strictly for work, and i got rid of it. i now drive a 2003 neon sxt with some mods done to it, but, let me be the first to say i hate it. i have way too many costly problems with it and i now see why dodge quit makin em. they suck. plus, lets be realistic here.....im 6'4' 230 pounds. i dont really fit in this little toy car. i think its time to get back into a cummins.

for some reason i absolutely love the late 80's-early 90's bodystyle. not too sure why but i LOVE them. i found a 1993 cummins with 5' stacks. all it really needs are some new wheels and tires, and some window tint. well, a lift would be in order also it has just been painted white, has a new grille on it and the headlighs and tailights have been replaced on it also. starts right up, runs like a champ, and blows smoke like a freight train (which i love). the only thing i dont like is that it has 213,000 miles on it. that is what makes me leary. i dont know if i am overreacting or what.

anyone got any info or input as to whether or not it would be a smart buy or if i would be wastin my money?

any info/help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Default RE: lookin to buy a cummins, info needed

If it has been serviced like it should I would not worry. Miles dont hurt em. Now ******* the %$#@ out of it will. My buddy has over 500,000 on his 95 and runs like new, It just looks bad. If the price is right, jump on it!!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:46 PM
turbo2oh

thats what i was thinking. the guy said he had it serviced when it was due and never beat the hell out of it. he used it to haul stuff, but he just needs to sell it because he has a new cummins and another car and doesnt want 3 in his driveway. my uncle had one and had 650,000 miles on it when he got rid of his and it was a champ....

i looked the price up on NADA and KBB....NADA said for the condition and mileage etc. it should go for $5,400....KBB said $3,000.

the guy wants $6,500 for it, which i think is a lot for that truck, but, still not TOO bad. id make a lower offer though!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with what watermelon said, the one thing about the engines is to make sure the valve lash is set properly as that will make the engine run much better. it's not hard to do and would be one thing I would ask about. . .if it has not been done I would not let it turn you away from the truck.

edit. . .doesnt sound too bad, would still run better than a new chebby off the factory line

Old 02-21-2007, 12:15 AM
turbo2oh

haha yea without a doubt man! i just dont know about this guys askin price man....6500 seems a lil steep for a '93 with 213k miles.....

Old 02-21-2007, 01:56 PM
turbo2oh

im goin to look at this truck again this weekend, im thinkin i might have to jump on it.

its clean and runs like a friggin champ. i dont think i can pass it up. im gonna make a lower offer than asking price and see what the guy says. i think i can get him to come down from what he asks.....

if i end up with it..its mod time baby!!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Ralph78
Professional

With an older RAM CTD truck, it all depends on the condition of the truck. If the drive train is in good shape, the interior and exterior of the truck are OK, and the truck is what you want, then the price is OK. Don't go for the cheapest truck! There is a reason for the low price. With older vehicles, condition and utility are everything (If you plan on keeping it for a few years). With a RAM CTD in good condition, you will have many years of good heavy duty service at a low cost, with few problems.

I Paid $12,000 last summer for my 1998 12 Valve, and I knew it had a bad Torque Converter and Transmission. BUT!!! It was equipped the way I wanted.(See Sig. Below.). The Gear Vendor Overdrive, Banks Intake and Exhaust, Commander Lockup Controller, 65 Gallon Transferflo AX Fuel/Tank Toolbox combo, Power extension mirrors, full length running boards, bed rail caps, spray in liner, Guages, etc. cost the original owner an additional $10,000 to add. The Truck was exactly what I wanted. After replacing the Transmission and TC with Top of the Line bullet proof units, I have $18,000 in the truck and intend to keep it until the body falls off, then I'll wield it back on and keep it a while longer. It's a great truck with none of the computer/fuel pump problems that the 24 valve trucks have, and none of the Smog related problems that the 2007 and on will surely have.
Just my $.02 worth.

Quick Reply: lookin to buy a cummins, info needed