Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

NEw Diesel Truck Mega Cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Vegashd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEw Diesel Truck Mega Cab

I am looking for a new diesel truck. Not new to Diesels just looking at my options for another one due to a boat I am pulling allt he time now.

I am considering a few options. I am looking at both Ford and Dodge and have been looking at both current model year and the 08 in Ford, and 06, 07, and 08 for Dodge.

Ford I am not fond of a new motor in a new truck. Kind of eliminates that. the 07 If I got a good enough deal might seem appealin to me.

I really like the Dodge Mega Cab. I have a local dealer here in Vegas who has ALL kinds of 06s Mega cabs on the lot.

now the dilema. I really like leather. None are Laramies, only SLT. Leather can be added that looks factory to a truck later on. Not a big deal. But I think dual climate controls can only come on the Laramie. Another thing that is not clear on the Dodges is if they have built in homeline on all models, and auto headlights. Do all Dodges have this? None? Or just Laramies?
Other then that I can get along with not having leather.
My next question is yesterday Dodge showed rebates on 07s and now they do not. You think they would be ramping up to get rid of the Dodges to make room for the new 6.7 and 6 speed tranny. I wonder if their will be rebates soon.
My only scare of the dodge is the tranny. I am not to up on the dodge tranny woes, and know alot of people who have had trany problems. Is this that big of an issue anymore?

Next whats a good price for a 4x4 Diesel Mega Cab Laramie?

Old 03-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NEw Diesel Truck Mega Cab

first of all the dual climate controlls only come on the laramies, I'm not sure about the hime line thing, but you can have the PCM programmed for the auto headlights.

as far as the trans. . .the 48RE is a good unit. in stock form it performs well, and with the 06 and 07 models the eshaust brake capabilities that come standard make it that much better. now the only downside is it is a 4 speed unit, however with the torque band of the engine this doesnt come into much play. if you go much over 75hp on a stock unit there will be damage, however with a valve body job and possably a new TC depending on what you want, it will hold 100+ easily. after that and you'll need billet parts.

as far as price, I dunno, I'm pretty sure someone will chime in and say something.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Vegashd

ORIGINAL: Drew

first of all the dual climate controlls only come on the laramies, I'm not sure about the hime line thing, but you can have the PCM programmed for the auto headlights.

as far as the trans. . .the 48RE is a good unit. in stock form it performs well, and with the 06 and 07 models the eshaust brake capabilities that come standard make it that much better. now the only downside is it is a 4 speed unit, however with the torque band of the engine this doesnt come into much play. if you go much over 75hp on a stock unit there will be damage, however with a valve body job and possably a new TC depending on what you want, it will hold 100+ easily. after that and you'll need billet parts.

as far as price, I dunno, I'm pretty sure someone will chime in and say something.
by auto headlights I do not mean daytime driving lights, I mean auto on off for light and dark. gets dark they come on, gets light they go off. I think we got crossed there.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:32 PM
furgburg

I got my first Dodge back in July. A 3500 Mega Cab. Traded in a very troublesome 6.0 FMC. So far I absolutely love it. Have about 12000 miles on it, and like it more every drive. Pulls anything I hook behind it effortlessly and is very comfortable on long trips. Im not sure about the options your after, but I got mine for just under 36k, before taxes. I dont have dvd, or nav. but didnt want it. I have always heard horror stories about Dodge tranny's also, so I am just going to hope for the best, and if it breaks put stronger parts in it.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Vegashd
by auto headlights I do not mean daytime driving lights, I mean auto on off for light and dark. gets dark they come on, gets light they go off. I think we got crossed there.

ahh. . .gotcha

Old 03-01-2007, 08:03 PM
cumminalong

Welll now....

I came from an '04 250SD and I had a few of the same concerns. Uhhhhh, don't sweat it! This thing is a beast.

You don't want anything to do with an '08 SD right now, or even anything with a 6.0. Ford and Navistar are having WAY too many issues. They just had to have a court order (as of the 28th) toforce Navistar to start shipping engines to Ford again. What does that tell you about what kind of quality will be put into these engines. Now, look at what kind of support Ford is going to get for that 6.0. Getting a little dark for the Blue Oval.

Drive that CTD and drive an PSD. That PSD doesn't make it's money until 2K RPM's. The CTD is peaking at 1600 and is flat all the way to 3K. Don't sweat the 48re, it does fine behind the CTD. Hell, each time mine goes UP a gear, it pushes you back FARTHER. It's a beast.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Your name really confuses me.

Vegashd ... now Victory makes a bike called a Vegas, but it's not a "heavy duty" bike, so what would the hd be for then

Or maybe you LIVE in Vegas and you own a HD / Harley !!

What's the deal ?? Spill it !!

Old 03-02-2007, 12:02 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

They dont have auto headlights which was a real bummer for me because I had owned 4 fords before this with all auto lights. They have a kit that you can purchase for around 250 that I found. I am still looking for a auto light switch. I still leave the lights on sometimes [:@]. BTW the "dual climate control" is not all its cracked up to be. It is slightly modified, but all the air is circulating throughout so it really doesnt do that much. I figured that dodge would have electronic a/c by now, but hey what do i know

Old 03-02-2007, 01:46 AM
beachmstr

Dodge is still a truck. They haven't went over to the luxury truck market yet but they might soon. Personally I think its all over rated. I want a truck and I don't want all the digital controls that can just break and really screw things up.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Charles Darwin
Rookie

Is there a way for us to disable the auto headlight feature?

Quick Reply: NEw Diesel Truck Mega Cab