Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

custom propane injection kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 06:53 PM
soniclm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom propane injection kit

I saw this page on Cumminsdatabase.com It shows how to make a custom propane injection kit, it is at the bottom of the page. What do you think bout it.

http://www.cumminsdatabase.com/read.php?id=41

Old 03-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker
Default RE: custom propane injection kit

Do you park your truck in the garage?
If you do don't.
If something on the system should develope a leak (Murphys Law) you have a very leathal bomb just waiting for the pilot light on the furnace or hot water heater or a spark in the motor of the garage door opener etc

Plus they claim it won't void your warrenty but if you have that on your truck and burn a hole in a piston or punch a rod out of it belive me they are not going to fix it under warrenty, and if you file a law suit to get them to fix it the only one who will win is theSOB Lawyer.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

propane injection is better suited for towing applications in my mind. mainly for lowering EGT's and getting more power. if your looking to go faster, giggle gas would be better to use.

at HP levels below 600hp I wouldnt worry about useing drugs, however over that point water meth injection is better than propane seeing as it doesnt combust as easily, plus is lower EGT's better than propane or nitrous.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:26 AM
soniclm
Professional

I'm just really looking to get better gas mileage for I guess you would say cheap

Old 03-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: soniclm

I'm just really looking to get better gas mileage for I guess you would say cheap
Have priced propane recently? About $4.50 a gal here.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:34 AM
ds06
Professional

Drew, how do you know all this stuff? ur like the yoda of Cummins. It's crazy!

Old 03-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if I dont know the answer I track it down. . .and after two years of my own searchingone comes across alot of stuff.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:35 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Yeah, hes like the Walker Texas Ranger of cummins

Old 03-03-2007, 02:12 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I like to number crunch and this one looked like fun. Let's just assume for the sake of argument that what they say in the article is 100% correct and we are only putting this unit on for mileage increases and we care less about performance increases. The article says that most diesel engines only burn 75% of the diesel they use. The kit makes it burn 100%. So that means that you will get a 25% boost in your MPG. So take you existing mileage and multiply it by 1.25% on a calulator and that would be your new MPG.

I'm getting right around 19.5 to 20MPG when empty and running the speed limit on the interstate. I will round up to 20 just to keep the math simple. My new MPG would be 25 MPG.

The cost of diesel right now where I am is about $2.50 a gallon so that means that if I burn 30 gallons (a tank) of diesel that I would save $15.

It says in the article that it takes about 25% propane for the amount of diesel you use. I would need 7.5 gallons of propane for the 30 gallons of diesel. Right now where I am at in middle Tennessee, propane is just under $3 a gallon. So 7.5 gallons of propane would cost me $22.50. But in the summer time propane is around $1.75 a gallon. So in the summer time my cost of propane is $13.12.

In the winter time it would cost $22.50 to save $15 on diesel so I would not save any money in the winter time. In the summer time it would cost $13.12 to save $15 in diesel. The only time I would save money is in the summer time and I would save $1.88 per tank.

If I only used the propane injection when the cost of propane is low, I would save $1.88 a tank. The propane unit cost $649 so I would have to burn appx. 345 thirty gallon tanks or (10,350 gallons of diesel or 258,750 miles@25MPG) before I broke even for the cost of the unit vs. the savings in diesel fuel.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

I like to number crunch and this one looked like fun. Let's just assume for the sake of argument that what they say in the article is 100% correct and we are only putting this unit on for mileage increases and we care less about performance increases. The article says that most diesel engines only burn 75% of the diesel they use. The kit makes it burn 100%. So that means that you will get a 25% boost in your MPG. So take you existing mileage and multiply it by 1.25% on a calulator and that would be your new MPG.

I'm getting right around 19.5 to 20MPG when empty and running the speed limit on the interstate. I will round up to 20 just to keep the math simple. My new MPG would be 25 MPG.

The cost of diesel right now where I am is about $2.50 a gallon so that means that if I burn 30 gallons (a tank) of diesel that I would save $15.

It says in the article that it takes about 25% propane for the amount of diesel you use. I would need 7.5 gallons of propane for the 30 gallons of diesel. Right now where I am at in middle Tennessee, propane is just under $3 a gallon. So 7.5 gallons of propane would cost me $22.50. But in the summer time propane is around $1.75 a gallon. So in the summer time my cost of propane is $13.12.

In the winter time it would cost $22.50 to save $15 on diesel so I would not save any money in the winter time. In the summer time it would cost $13.12 to save $15 in diesel. The only time I would save money is in the summer time and I would save $1.88 per tank.

If I only used the propane injection when the cost of propane is low, I would save $1.88 a tank. The propane unit cost $649 so I would have to burn appx. 345 thirty gallon tanks or (10,350 gallons of diesel or 258,750 miles@25MPG) before I broke even for the cost of the unit vs. the savings in diesel fuel.

Good post.
You said it a lot better than I did I was too tried and lazy to do all the number cruching.
Plus we all know you cannot believe all the advertising hype.

Quick Reply: custom propane injection kit