Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Black exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:40 AM
jsmitch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black exhaust

I have noticed that when I accelerate quickly in my Dodge 2500 I get a cloud of black smoke from my exhaust. I’m new to using diesel engines … is this normal or a cause for concern?

Thanks.

Jeff

Old 03-05-2007, 01:58 AM
thib
Default RE: Black exhaust

No need for concern I have a 06 dodge and it does the same thing.The harder you push it the more it will smoke. The newer models doesn't smoke like the older ones.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:18 AM
Ben D.
Champion

Your fine bro don't even worry about it. In fact the black cloud of death is the best part of owning a diesel. Someones tailgating you well you know what to do then

Old 03-05-2007, 10:27 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: jsmitch

I have noticed that when I accelerate quickly in my Dodge 2500 I get a cloud of black smoke from my exhaust. I’m new to using diesel engines … is this normal or a cause for concern?

Thanks.

Jeff
WHEW HEW!!!! Black clouds of diesel death baby.

Nothing to worry about, it's prefectly normal. It's nothing more than more fuel being put in than the engine can completely burn. This happens as the turbo is spooling and not up to full pressure yet. Once the boost builds, the smoke goes away.

It's nothing to be concerned about at all, it's a normal characteristic of a diesel. You can lessen the amount of smoke (somewhat) by increasing air flow. Get a high flow air filter and / or open up the exhaust and the engine breathes easier and produces a little less smoke. You'll still get some until the turbo spools, but you can lessen it a little.

Then again, you can also install a box or programmer, Dial-O-Death and smoke on command.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:52 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

your diesel isnt running unless it is blowing black smoke

Old 03-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: jsmitch

Thanks.

Jeff
when I purchased my 93 D250 CTD last Oct. it blew black smoke more than a tire fire. since I started using "Power Service Diesel" ( http://www.powerservice.com/ ) fuel additive it has quit smokin at all. . I did not follow Drews brew .. https://dodgeforum.com/m_578939/tm.htm . just used it straight. NO MORE SMOKE!!

yea, i was pizzed the other day when I couldnt smoke another driver at a light....

Old 03-06-2007, 03:02 AM
XFIRE
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Ben D.

Your fine bro don't even worry about it. In fact the black cloud of death is the best part of owning a diesel. Someones tailgating you well you know what to do then
so I'm not the only one who does that... LOL

Old 03-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Salsero

I noticed the black smoke this weekend. I bought a 2006 QC, CTD, this weekend and I happened to step on the pedal a bit aggressive man the famous black smoke came out. At first I was concerned but that seems to be normal for the Dodge diesel to do... I owned an 04 Dodge QC 1500 until Friday. CTD is the way to go.. Loving it.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's even better to do it in a light mist. . . .the soot sticks to the winshield of the car behind you[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 03-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Ben D.
Champion

ORIGINAL: XFIRE

ORIGINAL: Ben D.

so I'm not the only one who does that... LOL
most certaintly not.

Quick Reply: Black exhaust