Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

What exactly is "winter fuel"

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:09 AM
bert0168
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exactly is "winter fuel"

Yes, I am still having fuel mileage issues after changing everything I (and you guys) could think of AND 1 tank full after getting the ECM reflashed.

So I am wondering what do they do to the diesel fuel in winter and does anyone else see mpgs' around 10 to 11 during winter driving?

I love this truckand would hate to have toreplace it with a gasser [:'(]to get the higher mpg

Old 03-09-2007, 01:13 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What exactly is "winter fuel"

Winter fuel is the mix of number 1 and number 2 diesel. Some places don't get cold enough for them to mix it. If you use PSD(power service diesel kleenz white bottle), it won't gel. Your mileage will almost always be lower in winter, longer warmup etc.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

#1 diesel has less BTU's so by mixing it with #2 it lowers your mpg and is only used when cold temps may gel normal #2 diesel. In my area many mix 30% #1 diesel to make a winter fuel mix and some mix it with up to 50% #1.

We do have one station in town that is 100% #2 diesel and that fuel will not gel in sub zero temps down to -30 below zero. This fuel is called Arctic Diesel fuel, they enhanced the centane to 45 and is only made November through March.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:48 AM
bert0168
Professional

That must be what they are doing here with the mixing. I am using the PSD/MMO mix so gelling isn'ta concern.
Man I wish I could try some of that Arctic Diesel fuel. Sounds a whole lot better than what I'm seeing with the #1 and #2 mix.

Quick Reply: What exactly is "winter fuel"