Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

cummins problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 02:05 AM
416MX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cummins problems

titleAndStar(2,0,0,false,",")
Back Seat Driver

[align=center][/align]
Hi and i'm new to the forum, i've already posted on the newbie forum,
I own a 01 2500 ram, i'm having a problem with the motor and was wondering if anyone has had the same problems. Sometimes while driving down the highway , you step on the gas and it actually slowes down ,by the way it is a 5 speed manual, you can let off the gas pedel and it will slow down more but won't pick back up when you push it back down , then it just picks back up by it's self like nothing was wrong . The other problem is when i started it to leave work , it idled fine, but when i steped on the gas a little it missed real bad and smoked real bad like it was getting too much fuel, let off and it idled fine, but then when it was running bad , you could push it to the floor and it wouldn't get over 1500 rpm.
After about 5 minutes of this it cleared up and ran fine. I've already replaced the transfer pump.
Thanks for your help!!! I think i put this in the wrong form the first time!![]

Old 03-10-2007, 02:06 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker
Default RE: cummins problems

I dont know the answer to your question, but why is your post all jacked up?

Old 03-10-2007, 02:29 AM
Batphreak
Veteran

Your post is a little goofy there.

Anyway, sounds like you're talking about what we call "Dead Pedal" you push on the pedal and there just isn't any fuel behind it. Got a check engine light on? Either that or a code reader? There are a couple different causes, usually the APPS (Acellerator Pedal Position Sensor) or the electronics on the injection pump are failing. If the APPS is failing it'll throw a code for low voltage, should set a Check Engine light. If you don't have a fault code your injection pump is failing, sadly these VP44s can't just have the electronics replaced and be happy, the computer has to be calibrated to the pump so a whole new pump is required. The APPS runs about $350 or so from Cummins, the injection pump is going to be anywhere from $1000-$1900 depending on where you get it and whether you get a standard rebuild or something a little juiced up.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:33 AM
cumminalong

He just copied and pasted the post.......no big deal.

416MX......Welcome the DF brother!

Lets start it off simple.....have you replaced the fuel filter? If not, start there.

Second, you said that you already replaced the lift pump. How long ago? Did the problem start before that or immediately after?

Third, has it been doing it on just this tank of fuel or multiple?

Fourth, is throwing any codes? It could be a Throttle, Cam, or Crank sensor going bad.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:24 PM
416MX

It started before i replaced the lift pump, it seemed to straighten out for a month or two after that.
I haven't put a fuel filter in it for a while that was my next thing to do.
It's been doing this for a while not just on this tank of fuel, but it seems worse on this tank than before.
4th , no check engine light, don't know about fault codes, guess i need to get a reader and find out.
Thanks for all your help guys, If it's the pump itself failing, i would have thought it would last longer than 84 thousand miles.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:09 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: 416MX

It started before i replaced the lift pump, it seemed to straighten out for a month or two after that.
I haven't put a fuel filter in it for a while that was my next thing to do.
It's been doing this for a while not just on this tank of fuel, but it seems worse on this tank than before.
4th , no check engine light, don't know about fault codes, guess i need to get a reader and find out.
Thanks for all your help guys, If it's the pump itself failing, i would have thought it would last longer than 84 thousand miles.
Well, before you go on to the injection pump (cross your fingers), switch out that fuel filter.

Then, just head to any AutoZone, Advance, O-Reilly's, etc. Almost all off them will scan for free. Try and rule out any of the sensors, which are a hell of a lot cheaper than the VP44 is gonna be.

And 84K is getting to that range where the VP44 can start having issues, especially if that lift pump was already bad for a while. Hope not, that's a pricey piece.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:04 PM
416MX

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP, i'LL CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER AND TRY IT ,, THEN I'LL GO GET IT SCANNED.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:47 PM
416MX

Update, I put a new fuel filter in it today, had alot of dirt in the bottom of the housing, cleaned it out,
bleed the fuel system and started it back up, then the check engine light came on, it wasn't on before.
Took it to autozone and they pluged in the scan tool.
2 codes po1689 computer. and p0216 timing circuit. they couldn't really tell me what they ment, they cleared the codes and the light hasn't came back on, any ideas????

Old 03-11-2007, 11:53 PM
cumminalong

P0216 - Injection Timing Control Circuit Malfunction

This could definitely be what's making it run like crap. Diesel needs 3 things...fuel, compression and timing. Loose any of the three and no fire.

P1689 - Oil Pressure Control Solenoid Circuit Malfunction

Probably not what's making it run like crap, but needs to be checked. Could be something as simple as the sensor or just needing a new spring.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:37 AM
416MX

I guess it's a trip to the dealer to get it fixed, thanks again for all your help!

Quick Reply: cummins problems