Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

TST Box?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:35 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TST Box?

I am looking at getting a TST box, it is the PowerMAX CR. I see that there are different sub-models for the PowerMAX CR. Does anyone have any input on which one to get? Also, I don't have very many modifications and I don't plan on endlessly spending money on the truck but I am interested in this mod. What I want to know will this work if I don't upgrade the turbo, injectors, intake etc. I don't want to put this box on and a few months down the road have to replace something expensive because it wasn't upgraded in the first place. Any input is appreciated.........

Old 03-11-2007, 07:08 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional
Default RE: TST Box?

well.... if ur looking to get mpg then yeah, u might want to let ur truck breath and fart(exhaust) better and u will increase some mpg.if ur not gona be trying to whoop *** then its not ness to up grade thatmuch at all. even getting the tst might be the wrong way(my 2 cents) some companys have specific moduels that only give any where from 40-80hp and are just for tow or economy (waiting for someone to differ on the whole tst) .just look around. like u said ur not lookingto be "endlessly spending"money on ur truck.hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the R37 box. . .however I dont have the extra programming of the twins and econ. I just have the standard programming. there is a big difference between all 4 programs, however we wont go there right now. I cant remember when I put my TST box on, it's been a while, but I am happy to say I have yet to have any issues out of it when it comes to injectors/turbo/fuel, unless I get into it at high numbers then I'll drain the fuel rail VERY quick and she'll start bucking and backfireing on me, that is just the lack of fuel and the lift pump not being able to supply the CP3 to keep the system pressureized.

anyway, as long as the power number is kept below 5 and the torque seting below 3 your clutch will be fine, at that setting or higher you will roast the clutch and quick. however even on 1/0 and up to 3/3 you will have a grin from ear to ear from the drastic power increase that is still very safe for the turbo and fuel system, however once you go above 100hp it is a good time to upgrade the turbo and lift pump, but that is not where you want to go .

my reccomendation would be to get an EGT and boost gage and the R49. I knowthe R37 is less,however the R49 has the auto cool down, and will defuel if temps get too high and boost fools. my R37 doesnt do this, it only boost fools to 35psi, and I leave it on all the time. sometimes I wish I had the cool down timer.

you can run the stock injectors, stock turbo, and stock fuel pump without any issues like I am and enjoy it. the econ/75/and 95 boxes do sound good, however they do not have the adjustability that you can dial in.

I presonaly believe the TST boxes, when on the lower settings are the safest power adders since they do not add pressure. since it mainly works off of timeing and duration off the injectors, you are not taxing the CP3, rail valve, or the inlet pressure of the injectors which can lead to issues. . .however on the upper numbers things will get exciting if you clutch decids to grab all of a sudden.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:22 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

I am still waiting to hear if its the R37 or R49, I have a buddy who is selling it. I do have an upgraded exahust, will be doing at least a high flow filter. What I am trying to get out of it is better fuel mileage, currently at 16, some more power and of course tons of SMOKE!!! (Drew I heard you know how to smoke)

Old 03-12-2007, 02:24 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

you do know that tons of smoke is just wasted fuel... kinda doesnt go with mpg improvements. Check to see if it is a SN greater than 5000, if so, then you can upgrade the box to the R49 progam from TST. they may charge you for it but you'll have that option.