Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

rims and tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:16 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rims and tires

im in the market for rims and tires. im leaning towards mickey thompson classicII wheels and some 305/65R17 pro comp Xtreme a/t for the tires. anyone have input on the wheels or tires?

i found those 4 tires mounted and balanced on those rims shipped to my front door for $1351.12. is this a good price? anyone know anywhere i could find this set-up a little cheaper?

thanks guys

Old 03-14-2007, 11:05 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: rims and tires

I've had the rims on my last truck and liked them. very solid wheel. on the tire side of things, i'd recommend the pro comp xtreme at's, i've put 35k on mine (bought them used with about 1k on them) and they still have ALOT of tread left. balancing has not been an issue, they are holding there balance well unlike the regular pro-com at's which are junk IMO. I have yet to get stuck with them in the few times i've been in the snow with them and we dont really have much in the way of mud around here, doesnt rain enough... but the mud I have driven thru was a piece of cake.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:39 PM
GlenninTexas
Rookie

With the 305/65s you may get a little rub unless yuor going to do a lift or level kit, or the wheels have an offset.I run 305/70s with just a slight rub.

Regards, Glenn

Old 03-14-2007, 07:40 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

cool. thanks guys. and yes i eventually plan on doing a leveling kit and i will most likely get offset wheels. i got offered a set of 33 inch mikey thompson baja claws with a little less than 20K (still have decent tread, not the best but not bald either). these tires are mounted on 17inch dick cpek DC-1 rims. rims are in like-new shape. no dings dents scratches or anything. i still need to talk price with the guy. does anyone have feedback on the baja claws? mileage, balancing, traction in mud/snow anything of that nature? i appreciate the input

Old 03-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Hiloram
Professional

I just saw a truck in Kona with 305/65R17 Procomp Xtreme AT's on stock rims with a leveling kit. I didn't get a chance to talk to the guy to find out if he rubs or not. I can say that even with the stock rims the tire and leveling kit combo looked pretty tough.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:42 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

ya i deffinately want a mean look to my truck. and i want an agressive offroad tire but i dont want a mud tire. where i work, its alllll mud and the stock tires just arent cutting it. if i get boggers or something, ill be too tempted to beat the truck in trails and such and i DONT wanna do that. causes too many problems. so just the looks and something to help me in and out of the job every day. ill also need them for snow driving. i was set on the pro comps for a while because ive only heard good about them. but when i was offered these baja claws, i havent heard much bad about these. and if worst comes to worst i can smoke the claws off and put some Xtreme A/T's on there

im open to suggestions for another tire that someone knows of that will fit my needs. agressive offroad, snow, decent mileage rating, and something that looks mean. oh and idc about road noise. and my truck isnt lifted and will soon be leveled.

thanks guys

Old 03-15-2007, 06:55 PM
troop
Rookie

Pro-comp just came out with extreme mta's they look good just ordered a set also if your going to get rims keep in mind that any painted or clear coated rims are not recommeded for use in the winter weather. the salt will eat them up. If you live in those conditions get a polished rim. twice a year polish them and they are good year round.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:33 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

troop, thats what i made another post about...polished aluminum wheels or chrome plated wheels. i am in salt, so i need to do more research i guess. thanks for the input

Old 03-16-2007, 02:01 AM
SpLaT
Captain

Guys IMHO, Cooper STT s are great tires I spend about 80% off road , gravel/mud/clay and snow. I have had BFG A/Tswhich lasted about 30k miles and tried Pro comp A/Ts which I got 20k miles out of before they went bald. So far I have 50k miles on my Coopers and theystill look close to new tires!

Old 03-16-2007, 02:11 AM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

is anyone good with photoshop or something that will volunteer some time and can craft up some rims on my truck if i send a pick of the truck and rims?

ive found some rims i like, but i want to see how they will look on my truck. id hate to buy them and then not like them.

thanks guys

Quick Reply: rims and tires