Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Diesel OUT Of "FUEL" now NO START

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 05:24 PM
dmg311
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel OUT Of "FUEL" now NO START

Well guys. i'm new here this is my first post.

I've got a 1995 Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel. Bought it for my company. it came with a brokenfuel gauge. company didn't want to replace the fuel pump andsender unit. so it ran out offuel yesterday.

put more diesel in it. about 12gallons. it's facing downhill on at a slant but i don't think that will matter. i've primed the engine about a hundred times. i have gotten resistance. the batteries went dead so now i've hooked up two carsone on each batt. i can getthe truckto turn over but not catch.

Help please? i don't want to tow it to a garage.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:50 PM
GFB
Professional
Default RE: Diesel OUT Of Gas now NO START

Diesel OUT Of Gas
hmmmmm. i don't think you've got problems if your diesel truck is out of gas.

sorry, i had to

Old 03-17-2007, 08:11 PM
joepascoe19
Rookie

did u bleed the air at the injectors or where did u bleed from

Old 03-17-2007, 09:36 PM
unclemike
Veteran

We just had a problem with a 2001 Ram 2500. After a fuel filter change we couldn't restart. Tried to bleed repeatedly with no luck. Turns out the lift pump had died and it was running on the injector pump only. Today we got the new lift pump in. $161.00 from Autozone and in stock. I bled out the system but no start. I started cracking injector lines and we got a rough start. I decided to bleed a few more lines when the batterys died. Now it's sitting with the batterys out and on chargers and the block heater plugged in. Try again Sunday and hope the injector pump didn't go South.
Are you sure the lift pump is working? It's on the back of the block. The diesels didn't have a tank mounted pump until 2003.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:58 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

Well at least you got all of the gas out, now just fill it with diesel........................

P.S. You set yourself up for a bunch of posts like this, just be prepared. No hard feelings though, besides, welcome to the forum

Old 03-17-2007, 11:43 PM
dmg311

yeah. i definitely deserve it. i'd have said the same thing. didn't realize i said that in the subject line. i checked my original post very carefully for that. calling it gas irritates me too. my apologies.

well, i'm going to remove the fuel filter reservoir and fill that with Diesel and see if i can get it started.

I haven't bled the fuel lines at the injectors. any instructions on how to do that?

Old 03-18-2007, 12:24 AM
zram2500

On the 2001 you shouldn't have to crack the lines. The system should be self bleeding (my '02 is, been there done all this), I think yours should have a shrader valve on the injection pump. It's under what looks like a tire valve stem cap, after you bump the starter and the lift pump is running, use a small screw driver and depress the valve. You'll probably get a mix of air and fuel. Repeat a couple times and she should light off.If you don't have fuel there, you have a lift pump or filter problem.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:44 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to bleed the injectors on a P7100 you will need a line wrench. loosen the line at the head just enough that fuel starts to come out as the engine is turning over. do this to all 6 cylinders. after #4 or #5 the engine may start running on it's own, but VERY rough, crack the last two while the engine is running and things should even out.

this process may be needed on the VP44 as well since the injector lines themselves are on self bleeding, only the HPCR engines are fully self bleeding.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:32 AM
dmg311

long lost update.

adding fuel to the filter reservoir solved the problem. I then had the truck taken to fix the gauge immediately thereafter. It was a simple fix fortunately.

In the meanwhile, I've lost count of how many times I've been asked to turn the truck off at the drive through."Excuse me sir could you turn your truck off. I can't hear you."

Old 10-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Mayfair
Legend

LMAO ... yeah, drive thru's HATE diesels

Quick Reply: Diesel OUT Of "FUEL" now NO START