Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Reviews of Programmers

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007 | 08:21 PM
rburrill22
|
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reviews of Programmers

Hey all, I am new to the site but already love it! I have a 2003 quad cab 2500 with the cummins and want to get some opinions on programmers. I have been lookin at going witht he Banks set up or the edge juice w/ attitude. What are your guys thoughts on these both? O yeah and its pretty much stock right now I have an AFE intake but thats it so far. thanks for any advice!

Old 03-19-2007 | 09:52 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reviews of Programmers

to say it honestly, while banks does some good stuff, it is expensive as opposed to mixing and matching your own stuff. . .the hardware is topnotch, however their software can be problemattic.

for someone who is looking for easy power and hasnt done something like this before, Edge and Quadzilla both make good stuff. if you want to burn up a valve or turbo and have fun doing so. . TST

Old 03-28-2007 | 06:20 PM
rburrill22
|
Amateur

Thats what i have been reading about Banks lately.Also i keep seeing TST pop up on this site...what exactly is it? I dont plan on doing big hp gains, just a programmer. Any info is would be great, there is a lot out there and everybody says something different! thanks!

Old 03-28-2007 | 06:59 PM
steelhauler

you should at least check out the smarty programer, I really like mine. The low - mid range torque is great. Any setting higher than 5 will slip the clutch. If it has a down side, it would be not having the option of changing the settings on the fly.

Old 03-29-2007 | 12:36 AM
firemansdodge
Professional

I have had both the Banks Six Gun w/ PDA and Edge Juice w/Attitude. I can tell you from experience that the Edge has a lot more low power than the Banks. My setting level 2 feels like Banks level 5. The Banks PDA is a lot better than the Attitude as far as display and functions. Both do about the same for safety features. The Juice w/ Attitude is a timing/duration program and Banks is timing/ pressure. Mostly pressure for power. People say that is bad on the injectors and pump. All my working parts are Banks and work great, but I love the Edge for my programmer.

Old 03-29-2007 | 11:40 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the TST box is probably one of the most adjustable boxes out there. the R49 box has 4 different programs, you can adjust your timeing up to 18 degrees and adjust rail pressure from 0-infinity. each of the 4 programs has on itself 9 hp and 9 torque settings. the programs are the economy for fuel mileage, standard, early twins(03-04) and late twins(04.5 and up).

the difference between the early and late twins has to do with what boost pressure the box goes to full fueling. the early twins goes to full fuel at 12psi, while the late twins waits till around 20.

I should send mine in and have the programming redone since all I have is the standard, load up the early twins and have the heaviest smoker in the state

Old 03-29-2007 | 12:13 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

how much do you want to spend?
if you go over 100 horses you will want some gauges.

you can get a diablo predator programmer for $250 and leave it on the performance setting and be ok without gauges.
with this programmer you can check vehicle code, use it as you gauge (it shows you the reading of every gauge (real time))
adjust for tire size. and it has three settings.

Old 03-29-2007 | 01:15 PM
zerodog

What do you guys think of Bully Dog programmers. My friend has one and would it be safe to shoot the milder performance program over to my bone stock truck? I want to try this tuner thing out before I jump into it. I don't care much for more power. I just want some more MPG and more performance would be OK if that was a side effect. The Predator can be used as a guage while it is hooked up? If that is true that is really cool for that price.

Old 03-29-2007 | 01:18 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

yeah you just choose which sensors you want to monitor and leave the programmer connected. I currently watch my EGTs and tranny temp and boost

Old 03-29-2007 | 01:40 PM
zerodog

That is pretty cool. Do you see all of those at once or one at a time? And is that thing smart enough to back off if stuff goes out of the safe range?

Quick Reply: Reviews of Programmers