Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Got an Aero Muffler installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 AM
cumminalong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got an Aero Muffler installed

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Dude that turned out reall good !! I think it did a great job of capturing the sound. Unfortunately the wind got the better of it once you got going.

Didn't you remove your silencer ring yet? I couldn't really hear the turbo.
I did take the ring out, but then I put it back in. It was a louder than I wanted. Same thing with the exhaust, I didn't want stupid loud, just deeper and to drop the EGT's

Also, I was also considering a few things, aerodynamically, about removing it.

1 - Whistling is a disturbance in the air flow. And the more whistling, to me, means more distrubance going into the turbo.

2 - After removing the silencer ring, look at the area that surrounds the turbo inlet...it's flat and actually concaved. Seems like it would be less efficient, again to me.

I know folks say it has no effect on power, but to me it seems like removing that piece is like removing the front facia from the truck and just running itwith radiators there. Yeah, it'll whistle more, but at the expense of aerodynamics.

No, I haven't dynoed it, but that's how I look at it I guess; kinda like pouring oil directly into the filler hole vs using a funnel.

Just my .02

Old 03-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

2 - After removing the silencer ring, look at the area that surrounds the turbo inlet...it's flat and actually concaved. Seems like it would be less efficient, again to me.
I kinda felt the same way after i took it out. It seemed like it was serving more of a purpose than just silencing the turbo with it being cone shaped and all, but after hearing from the guy's here saying that it had no affect at all I left it out. I can't say if my power dropped or increased, but I WILL say that I LOVE the way it sounds now !!

Old 03-21-2007, 03:33 PM
usafr
All Star

Well, if it did drop, it isn't noticeable,,,, and it sounds waaaayyyyyy to cool to matter anyway .

Old 03-21-2007, 04:10 PM
cumminalong

I didn't notice a drop, but again, it was too loud for my liking. I'm sure any gain / drop would be completely unnoticeable, except maybe on a dyno.

I like just hearing a little bit of turbo when I get into 'er.

Quick Reply: Got an Aero Muffler installed