Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cannot buy replacement brake light switch. Anyone else had this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 07:06 PM
TurboLion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot buy replacement brake light switch. Anyone else had this problem?

Cannot buy replacement brake light switch. Anyone else had this problem? Its for my 1994 CTD standard cab 4x4 3/4 ton. Napa,carquest, even the Mopar dealer brings up one that has too long of "Shaft" on it. The long shaft prevents the new switch to go into the same position as the old damaged one. The only thing we discovered was a '92 to '94 dealer oem switch fits into the '94 year also..I have a 12/94 MFG date. So I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what did you do? I 'spose I could make a switch plate or modify the old one..but a person should not have to do that. My old switch only has about 1/4 throw, were as the replacement has about 1 inch..even the napa guy said he has come accross three customers with the same problem over the years, but had no ideas ..thanks for any advice in advance..Love the truck though...lol

Old 03-17-2007, 10:42 PM
unclemike
Veteran
Default RE: Cannot buy replacement brake light switch. Anyone else had this problem?

Rockauto www.rockauto.com lists two different numbers. For a 1992 the number is SLS158, this has a pigtail connector and is threaded where it goes into the bracket. For 1994 the number is SLS208, this switch snaps into place. If your switch is damaged perhaps the plunger is stuck and not extended out the whole way? Rockauto has pictures of the switches.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:20 AM
TurboLion
Default RE: Cannot buy replacement brake light switch. Anyone else had this problem?

thanks for the info. I did locate one at a different napa store..thanks again...

Old 03-20-2007, 03:55 AM
unclemike
Veteran

Post the part number in case anyone else has the same problem

Old 03-20-2007, 10:15 AM
TurboLion

MorparOEM number is :PN 4671336AB has a 1/4" throw and fits '92-'95. (same number as '94,95 & up )
However here is the trick that no one tells you, or instructions that fail tocome with it..lol when you get one.... the "Shaft" plunger is going to be about 1" long..way to long for our '94 year truck..here is the part no one tells you, NOT the parts person and most people don't know this..the darn thing is "Adjustable" and can fit many applacations.TO ADJUST:Hold unit in hand and push plunger until it stops..Now very carefully push harder until you hear it "Click" and for my year truck..you should move it 4 clicks..Now it's the same length as my oem one I took out..so you have to "Force" the plunger shaft to the position you want..Its adjustable but few people (Including myself until now) know that..lol.sheezzz

Old 03-20-2007, 07:35 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plunger depth is set by the pedal, not by hand. That switch is designed to be adjusted one time. Pulling and pushing the plunger by hand will break the switch.

Make sure the plunger is out all the way, the press the brake pedal down and hold it. Now install the switch, and GENTLY let the brake pedal retract. It will set the correct plunger depth automatically. Do not let the pedal snap back.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:26 AM
TurboLion

..The problem with the pedal setting the "distance" was, it keep popping outof the square mountingbracket. it would not "Self Adjust". I got hold of an older mopar service manual and the instructions stated to adjust it in your hand "very carefully"..to avoid breakage... but no instructions with any of the products is unknown to me. I tryed several different mfg's. They all look likebeing made from the samemfg, but different labels.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:01 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The switch is pressed up against the bracket at a 45 degree angle, then turn to 90 degrees to lock in. The setup is a poor one. Once you have it in place, don't be afriad to wrap a fat ziptie around it for extra hold. I've done it on about 6 other Rams.

Good luck with your ride.

Quick Reply: Cannot buy replacement brake light switch. Anyone else had this problem?