Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Warranty question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:40 AM
Little Foot
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty question?

I have just lifted my 2006 CTD. After the lift was installed I went to the alignment shop and they found that I have 2 bad ball joints. Since the lift doesn't affect the ball joins as far as removal and replace should warranty cover them? I have only 11,800 miles on the truck. The service writer told me that the lift could have cause the ball joint to go bad, but since the truck has only 40 miles since the lift how could this be.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:33 AM
cumminalong
Default RE: Warranty question?

This is a delicate two-way street that you have to walk on this.

On one hand, you can play hard ball and make them put it in writing, that WITHOUT A DOUBT the lift / wheel / tire combo caused the ball joints to fail. Personally, I think it's BS because you could be driving around in a truck loaded to Max GCWR all day long, have a plow, etc, and as long as there are no mods they'd cover it. Lift, wheels and tires have no where near the effect that this would.

In the other hand, push too hard and it goes into the computer that you've mod'd the truck and now you won't get your warranty coverage anywhere.

Is it BS? Yes, but the auto manufacturers are looking for any way they can to cut costs and it's often at the expense of the customer. Unfortunately though.....when we play.....we often have to pay.

I'd try another dealer that appears a little more mod friendly and see what you can do before you start pushing too hard. It's just ball joints...........an expense yes, but a relatively minor one considering.

Good luck.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:11 AM
handymanherb
Banned

Why are ball joints going out so early on a heavy duty truck

Old 03-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Little Foot
Veteran

The alignment shop aligned the truck so that it was drivab;e without making a mess out of the tires so I can get it to the dealer. The service writer said he would have to see what his people say meaning (the technician) should I request to speak to the technician?

Old 03-20-2007, 02:16 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Little Foot

The alignment shop aligned the truck so that it was drivab;e without making a mess out of the tires so I can get it to the dealer. The service writer said he would have to see what his people say meaning (the technician) should I request to speak to the technician?
The problem is, the tech generally wants to do right and repair the truck. What happens is, he gets squeezed by the Service Manager (who often hasn't turned a wrench in years, if ever) who is being squeezed buy the GM and owner to keeps costs down.

Most of the time, don't get pissed at the tech, he's just doing what he's being made to do. Now, if it's one of those monkey's with a hammer type tech's......now you wanna get another one's opinion.

The service department doesn't receive near as much money from the manufacturer for warranty work as they do for out-of-warranty work. Soooooooo, if they can get you for the cost......they make money.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:35 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I watched a a tech doing ball joint replacement at my dealer. The tech used a oxy-accetaleen (spelling?) torch to heat the hub so it would come out. I asked him if he was gonna repack the bearings after all that heat (hub smoking when it came off) his reply was naaa it'll be OK. I guess I'll do my own when it comes time.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:35 AM
Watermelon
Captain

Those ***** at the stealership, do more damage than good. I think Im gonna stick to the little shops if I cant handle it.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:27 PM
BLEWMONEY
Rookie

make sure he has checked the ball joints the right way, on an 06 2500, that is a DH chassis. the movement in the upper ball joint should be about .060 of an inch and the lower should be around .090. on the upper with .060 that is about 1/16 of an inch and the lower is a little more just because he can feel movement doesnt meea they are bad. 4 wheel drive suspension on any truck isnt like a car where he wont feel any movement at all. if your truck was 2 wheel drive he probably wouldnt have felt any movement at all. it still needs to go to a dealer and have them check it.

Quick Reply: Warranty question?